Cleaning algae on lace rock.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
What is the best way to clean algae of of lace rock? I have a 20 gallon FW community and I have notice the rock starting to have growths of green algae and some whiteish fluffy algae. I apologize that I do not know the correct names for the algae. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way, about 1 1/2 months ago, I purchased two Oto's to try to clean the rocks and tank. The first Oto died the same night I purchased and the other one lasted about 10 days. The second one seemed to enjoy the brown alage on the side of the tank and at times, was cleaning the rocks. Why he died, I shall never know.

Remove the rock, and put in a diluted solution of bleach water in a bucket. Let it sit for about ten minutes, then use an old toothbrush to scrub the entire rock while it's in the bleach water. After this you should notice NO algae remaining on the rock, if you do scrub again. Dump the bleach water and make a strong solution of dechlor and water (three times what you would use to treat pwc water - I use five times). Resoak the rock and again scrub the entire stone with the same toothbrush while it is still in the bucket. Let it sit for about ten minutes then test the bucket water for any remaining chlorine, if zero pull the rock and make one more solution of dechlor and water (same concentration as you would do with a pwc). Soak for ten more minutes then put back in tank.

This seems like a long process but I have done this sucessfully many times with my whitish rock as it grows algae on it and needs to be cleaned every other month.

I have kept otos in my tank for at least the past 8 months. After putting in the first four, two died after the first couple of days, the remaining two lasted about two months. I got three more after that, and they have been happy ever since. For those I took more time acclimating them to my water, as I have heard that they are sensitive little suckers. I know that they do a job cleaning the tank because when the first four were gone, the tank started growing algae quickly. Remember that even though they eat algae, you should still feed them some algae tablets; I do a tablet twice a week.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom