Clear film on new Mopani piece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smilemadeofsun

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all, I was wondering if I could pick your brains for a bit. I introduced two new Mopani pieces into my 46 gal tank the other day after boiling both, and of course my water is still looking tannic which I expected, but there is a layer of clear slime on the larger piece. I took it out and rinsed it off, and less than 24 hours later the stuff is back. Everything I've read about it says that it should be harmless unless it gets out of control and starts to get everywhere in the tank. The only fish I've read that didn't respond well to it were Cories, and I don't have any in that tank and my fish are looking fine, water is testing normal. I also read that it was a fungus. Would something like Pimafix help then, or should I just leave it for my fish to pick on? Most people say that the fungus was harmless to their fish and didn't affect their parameters, so I am wondering if I should just leave it.

I also read somewhere that Otocinclus and Shrimp love to eat that stuff, but the problem is I have a fairly large Angelfish and some juvenile Boesemani that would eat Otos or Shrimp in a heartbeat, so they would end up being very expensive feeders unfortunately. I have one 2 1/2"Albino Bristlenose Pleco in there, do you think he will get the job done over time, or should I consider adding one more?

It is harmless. You can take it out and clean it off or just leave it and it will go away. Water changes will help. I'm not sure of the cause for wood to do this but I've never seen any negative effects from it in my own tanks.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom