Cloudy Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

critter333294

Aquarium Advice Regular
For the past two days my tank has been cloudy. I dont think it's a bacterial bloom or anything like that. And it's not cloudy enough that you cant see, but cloudy enough to notice. I noticed it when I got home yesterday, so I did a water change and cleaned my filter also(since I figured that's where the problem lay). It cleared up....sort of. So today I get home, and notice that my tank is cloudy all over again x.x. Does anybody have an idea of what might be wrong? If needed, i'll have my parameters up later.

check your NH4 levels, what % PWC did you do? you may have chlorinated water, do you use any dechlorinators or chemicals in your water?

Yeti said:
check your NH4 levels, what % PWC did you do? you may have chlorinated water, do you use any dechlorinators or chemicals in your water?

Close to 40%. And yes, seachem prime. I checked my params...NH4 and NO2 were at .25 and NO3 was at 10. all over the place...think its because I cleaned my filters? And the cloud isnt heavy, but you can notice it.

Sounds like you are recycling or cycling. The cloud is bacteria it will go away in a few days. Watch those levels and be ready to do another water change.

Did you replace all the sponges in your filter?

How did you clean your filters? If you use chlorinated water it's likely that you killed off some of the the bacteria and what you're seeing is a slight bacteria bloom.

I didnt replace any sponges just washed everything in aquarium water, except the filter boxes which I first rinsed in aquarium water, then with tap. But I dried it thoroughly.

As long as you added Prime to the water after or during the water change you're fine in regards to the water. What color is the cloud? Is it green or whitish?

greenish cloud means algae bloon, us a UV light I believe to help get rid of it, or a blackout.

40% PWC is kidna large though, sopossibly could me a mini cycle, should go away shortly

A water change will not cause a mini cycle. The bacteria is attached to objects it is not free swimming. I change atleast 50% of my water weekly.

We do need to know what color the cloudiness is. How long has the tank been running?

I agree with Rich. Water changes won't cause a mini cycle. I do between 50 and 75% weekly on all of our tanks.

Quick update:
NH4-.25
NO3-0

So ammonia is still there...hopefully it'll go away soon.

EDIT: the cloud has also cleared up completely

Back
Top Bottom