Clown loach with pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koikeeper99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
In the future im getting a 150-200g for my common pleco and i was wondering if i could get clown loaches to put with her?

Yeah i know about the groups but just wondering because their both bottom feeders and i need no more agression since i MAY add 2 oscars.

Then get the oscars small and do 3 clown loaches. Clown loaches can be in a community tank and they can defend themselves. If ur worried about aggresion issues with ur oscars do some red tail botias

I have had 4 clown loaches with 2 plecos for a couple yrs now and have never had a problem. I second the red tail botias if you decide to go with something else, mine was awesome till it jumped out of tank.

Clown loaches defend themselves with their clear spines on the side of their bodies and they stick them out like a catfish and defend themselves, amazing fish

I purchased a tank that come with three large oscars and two maybe 4" clown loaches. Personally I'd be dubious as oscars grow much faster than clown loaches and when they do their loach dance up the front it would have to be pretty enticing to the oscars. That said the previous owner managed it. Really don't see the joy of oscars, horrible looking fish :/

Cynic said:
I purchased a tank that come with three large oscars and two maybe 4" clown loaches. Personally I'd be dubious as oscars grow much faster than clown loaches and when they do their loach dance up the front it would have to be pretty enticing to the oscars. That said the previous owner managed it. Really don't see the joy of oscars, horrible looking fish :/

My dad is in to Oscars. So i said he get some fish for this tank and he picked oscars.

Cynic said:

if you think Oscars are horrible, YOU sir have never payed attention to how smart they are and wonderful they look

I love clowns. Can't wait to get my 200g (UK) tank setup for my 3, may even get another 1 or 2. They love messing around, teasing my angels constantly by tickling their long feelers with their barbells and its nice to hear them clicking when you feed them something they really enjoy.
Do wish they wouldn't lie down and look dead so often though!

Dreadz said:
Do wish they wouldn't lie down and look dead so often though!

All clowns should come with a note about this so new owners don't freak out like I did :)

I heard about the playing dead thing it would be funny to trick family after they get attached to them;) but a 150g will be fine for about 4 of them right?

Koikeeper99 said:
I heard about the playing dead thing it would be funny to trick family after they get attached to them;) but a 150g will be fine for about 4 of them right?

image-150172862.jpg

They're forever doing it. They still get me going and I've had them for several years now!

View attachment 128553

They're forever doing it. They still get me going and I've had them for several years now!

Great pic (y)

Still remember my utter terror the first time I saw mine doing that.

Can I ask in your experience is it just the larger clown loaches that do this? I've never seen my smaller loaches do this :confused:

Never owned a loach smaller than 2 inches and every one I've had has always done it. If they're not belly up they're wedged in an impossibly small crevice or hole. I had one that would swim completely upside down at the surface at feeding time!

I have been down to one clown loach in the 90 for a few weeks now. He seems lonely so he sleeps in the cave with the Pleco. They get along well. Hard to find the clowns locally it seems.

Back
Top Bottom