Clown Loaches are aggressive??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gloomy

Aquarium Advice Regular
My neighbor is taking down his 40gal aquarium...a couple days ago he gave me his remaining fish...and next week I get his setup...whoohoo! The fish he had were a clown loach and 2 zebra danios.
I felt bad for the loach not having a buddy so today I went out and got 4 more zebra danios and another clown loach. The girl at the LFS said that clown loaches are very aggressive and I should be careful with them with my other fish. What?? I have never heard that before.
It was pretty funny when she was bagging him..she scooped him out into a container and he promptly fell on his side and played dead. The one I have did the same thing when I moved him. The girl goes, "Hey you can't do that...I haven't done anything to you" and was concerned that he was sick. They both seem fine to me.
Has anyone ever had an aggressive clown loach before??

I had clown loaches in my previous 18-gal tank many years ago, and they lived in harmony with everything else in there (gouramies, red-tail shark, bala sharks, and a goldfish). My current 29-gal tank that I just set up has only 3 inhabitants so far, all clown loaches. I am not worried about them with the other fish I plan on introducing (which will be more balas and a red-tail, and who knows what else). I have found them to be the most friendly, fun, and peaceful community fish ever.

It seems kind of ridiculous that an employee at an LFS would not know that about clowns (the playing dead thing), but hey, it's just a job, right? :p

In my opinion an agressive clown loach is a lie from the pit...lol. I have never seen an agressive clown loach, but I'm sure there are some out there. Also the fact that the girl at the local fish store thought he was sick when he was doing the "playing dead" thing might also be another indicator to you that she probably doesn't know what she's talking about. Think about it though...ravenous, pirana like clown loaches...

Its seems to me that the clown loaches are rather wimpy. They hide away from the tetras. The blackskirts are evil, evil fish and I do not like them at all. Even my gourami hides when they are on the prowl.
Heh...pirahna loaches...RUN!

Clown loaches are my favorites and if anything they are very playful and active. Never had a problem in my 75 gallon tank. Had up to 6 at one time and could stare at them for hours. I like the red fin sharks too. Can't wait to restock my tank. Barb

i have four right now. If anything, they are shy, no way are they aggressive. There have been times that they were aggrsive with each other, but getting two more solved that problem (upping from 2 to 4). Groups of three or more are defintly best for these guys.

Clown loaches aren't aggressive at all IMO. Mine are shy some of the time and very active most of the time. Mine are approaching 5" and are in a 125 gal and a 75 gal tank. And they always play dead LOL.

I am learning that loaches are quite spiffy little fish! The new one has been cruising around with the corys...and the other has taken up residence in my castle...how he got in there I don't know...but I catch him out and about sometimes. Yep the LFS girl didn't know what she was talking about.

Aren't they more like semi-agressive? I notice that some of you seem to have other fish that would also be considered semi-agressive ie. the balas and gouramis. So within that context they would be kept in check. But you couldn't put them in with a bunch of wussies like platies and rummy-nosed tetras and swordails could you?

If I am wrong then please tell me... I think they are pretty and I'd love to add some to take care of my snails.

I have 5 clowns that live with black skirts, red eye tetra's, cory cats, and dojo's. Ive only seen them get agressive with snails.

I need to get some clowns...I never have any luck with them though and at $11-$15 a piece it's tough to gamble...

clowns can be aggressive, but in a weird way (i use the word "can" loosely). i have 3 clowns in with african cichlids, and whenever food goes in the tank they are quick to chase the cichlids away from the food. occasionally they swim around and "peck" at eachother or my cichlids

the whole thing is i think they pick on eachother, but kind of in a playful fashion. but as far as saying they are "very aggressive" that is an incorrect statement.

i have seen them chase eachother around and chase my cichlids, but they do not cause any harm and they do not harass anything.

My new one died this morning...he was just...dead....I checked the water and checked him for signs of illness...he was perfect...just not alive anymore. I was able to return him and get another one....I always feel guilty when that happens.
Elle...I'm new to loaches...but the seem pretty mild mannered...if your LFS has a good return policy you could always try...but they get pretty darn big.

So my question is can clown loaches be in the same tank with platys and glofish?

I have a clown loach in a QT tank with zebra danio fry (danios spawned in the QT tank!). He doesn't pay any attention to them. I thought they would be a quick snack, but he has left them alone. They are definitely big enough for him too see and are small enough that he could eat them if he wanted to. I figured they'd be goners by now. It's been over a week and they are still there and growing.

That is good to know because I am planning on getting some baby clown loaches but after my son saw a Mickey Mouse Platy he has to have some. I also want some glofish.

Just remember that clown loaches can get very large (6 - 12 inches), need to be in groups of 3 or more, and need a spacious home. The minimum tank size recommendation for them is typically 50+ gallons and eventually may need a 125G gallon tank.

Here's a good website to visit to learn more:
http://www.clownloach.info/setup.php

Yes, I know, I have a 75 gallon tank and plan on only getting 3. When and if they start getting too large for that I will upgrade. For now they will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom