CO2 Bubble Counter - Low on Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hforney

Aquarium Advice Regular
I installed a pressurized CO2 system 3 months ago. I have a 5lb tank, ph controller, aqua medic 1000 reactor, bubble counter and solenoid.

I returned home from a 1 week vacation. Before I left I thought I had double checked everything with the 55g tank. Obviously I failed to make sure that the bubble counter glass jar was at least half full of water. When I returned I check the ph reading and it was 7.4, normally 6.7. Needless to say the CO2 cylinder was empty. The 5lb cylinder has been in use for 3 months.

My questions,,,,,,,,

Did the cylinder just go empty for being in use for 3 months?

Or was it the fact that the glass jar on the bubble ran empty of water.

All my fish are healthy, so nothing lost. Hopefully I can learn another lesson in becoming a competent aquarist.

The water has nothing to do with the CO2 in the tank. It just means you can't count your bubbles.

I'm not sure if a that tank should go empty in only 3 months..It might have tho. I would check for leaks if I were you.

Make a simple solution of 50/50 water and liquid soap. Spray it on all the fittings. If you got a leak you will see it.

I agree with shannen, you may have a leak somewhere. Probably on the tank side of the needlevalve somewhere. And it doesn't really matter if there is water in the bubble counter or not once you have the flowrate set where you want it. The gas will still flow at the same rate regardless.

Thanks to both of you for your reply. Hopefully I can find somewhere to get the tank filled tomorrow. I will definetly check for leaks.

The system has been running flawless for 3 months. It probably runs so well I don't check the small things like I should. It was a costly investment but well worth. With the pressurized CO2 and the way the plant growth has improved it won't be long before I will have to start removing some plants.

All thanks to the information I received.

hforney: Where do you get the pressureized CO2 tanks from? I'm in Westchster, NY and I haven't called around Welding houses yet. I work in North Jersey.

I looked at a lot of tanks on ebay. By the time you pay shipping and have the tank filled it will cost you more than the welding supply. Call around though, I found a big difference in price at different places. :D

Welding supply shops

dude - just go to www.switchboard.com (or any other similar site) and key in your city/state, then put "welding" in the business type.

For Westchester, NY I show about 88 welding supply shops. Just find one near you and ring 'em up and tell 'em what you want.

I'm sure you can find a place local. For me, the guy said about $80 for a 5lb container (purchase), less to refill obviously.

Thanks all for the recommendations... if I decide to plunk down the money for pressurized CO2... it may save me hours of fiddling with Soda bottles and yeast.

And ask them if they'll let you put a deposit on a tank, rather than purchase it. Sometimes its a little cheaper than a purchased tank, and you don't have to worry about having it tested and re-certified in the future, because you'll just swap it for a full one. This also means less wait time for a fill, and the fill price is the same no matter which route you take.

Back
Top Bottom