Columbian Shark/Catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blacksteel

Aquarium Advice Activist
I wasn't sure if this should be in saltwater or freshwater forum but they're usually sold a freshwater so I put it here haha.

Does anyone have any experience with keeping this fish in a saltwater aquarium? And if so how did you acclimate it because I want to move him to my saltwater tank?

I had mine in brackish water pretty much right away. They do much better in brackish water vs. fresh water. So start with brackish water and when the fish is fully grown, add more and more salt until it's the same salinity as your SW tank.

Thanks for the reply. It's hard to find info about this fish in salt and everyone seems to say something different haha

How big of a tank does this fish like?

Most things I've read say that this fish needs around a 75gal to a 100gal with atleast 4 feet wide for ample swimming room.

Wow walmart shouldn't sell them then. They fooled me with the puffer fish, but now I'd like to research everything before I buy. Glad I did this time too.

Yeah you should research fish before you buy because the place selling can usually give you bad info since they just want your money

Definitely. Now I'm stuck with a puffer in a 5g tank that it shouldn't be in. Idk what to do with it.

Well if you can get him a bigger tank it would be good. i mean 10 gal isn't enough for that fish if its a green spotted puffer but its definately better than a five and 10 gal tank is only about 15 dollars at petsmart.

Not an option. I wish it was though. I don't have room and I have to transfer to and from dorm to house 4 times a year. So I'm stumped

Can't really help you with the columbian shark question. I've heard that they do fine in fresh water as juveniles, but they need brackish water as adults.

Columbian sharks get pretty big. They're on my list of fish stores shouldn't sell because very few people can house them properly.

Yeah they do get very large but if properly taken care of theyre a great fish. I've researching and there are quite a few stories of them going to full marine and even a reef tank. It's just sad how stores sell them and say they only need 20 to 30 gallons which is very incorrect.

Back
Top Bottom