columbian shark feeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tadder04

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just recently got my first aquarium, an eclipse 2, 25 gallon for my dorm room. In it put 3 columbian sharks (~2.5 inches each) and a common pleco(~2 inches). The columbians really seem to enjoy themselves, constantly playing in the current and with eachother. (I realize they will outgrow the 25 gallon, I will be upgrading once I leave the dorms). One thing is worrying me though, they aren't eating. I have shrimp pellets that I feed them, but all they do is 'sniff' at it then swim away.

If anyone that has this awesome looking fish can recommend a food they might like more I would be much appreciative. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I love the website :D :D :D

How long has the tank been up and running with fish in it?

What are the current water parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH?

Upgrading when you leave the dorm may or may not be sufficient time. Fish can grow quickly...especially the first couple of years, so prepare yourself. Don't be surprised if the fish can't wait.

Water conditions may be a factor in them not eating. Shrimp pellets are also messy and can contribute to heavy nitrates. Feed them frozen foods like bloodworms, brine shrimp, and perhaps mix in a veggie type too. But test the water first. Let us know the results.

IU was told my red tailed shark would love algea wafers and he has had nothing to do with them yet, my barbs eat them up though lol, anyways when first got my red taield he hid in his cave or behind plants for at least a week before i actually saw him eat anything, and i usually stay up till sunrise every night and i nver ever saw him leave the hiding places, Then all of a sudden 2 barbs tried forcing himn out of his cave and he fought them back all around the tank for about 2 hurs off and on, now he's not afraid of the barbs or his new tank and eats all the time, still not the algea wafers though, but yeah hes all the time cleaning gravel and ornaments now. It may take your sharks a few days to come out nad feel at home before they eat, but don't worry it won't hurt them to go a few days without eating, plus they may get adapted rather quickly and eat at night when your asleep. put a few of the sinking pellets in every couple days and see if they are being eaten. A try at brine shrimp won't hurt if they are running from the pellets, you can try algea wafers for the pleco and the sharks, i would put no more than 2 1/2 in though since they are still relatively small fish. But yes please test your water parameters and let us know the results, like TCTfish said water parameters can stress your fish and cause them not to eat. Check to make sure the pleco and columbian shark are in the same PH range, I know the pleco can survive and does well in a 7.0 nuetral enviorment, the sharks may be something like 7.2 or 7.4 even, call the shop where you bought them and ask what they had the PH at in the tanks for both fish. Good Luck with your fish

I had a columbian for 1 and half years, I forget exactly what it was but they were little round pellets of some kind...he loved them...went crazy all over the tank when i dropped them in..

but i tried another food after that and i never saw him eat....but he must have been eating it off the bottom or at night because he never died and got pretty big

Sorry its taken so long to get back to you, been pretty busy with classes. (This is my last semester in the dorms also.)

I started feeding the columbians flake food and they seen to really enjoy it. However, one doesnt eat still. Last night he was starting to float upside down and wasnt moving very much. The water temp was somewhat low do to a broken heater which has now been fixed. He is swimming around again now, but still isnt eating very much.

The tank is just about 77 degrees F, has been up and running for about 20 days now. I just checked the tank levels:
Nitrates: 20ppm
Nitrites: 1ppm
Alkalinity: 300ppm
PH: 8.0

Is there a way to lower the nitrites without adding chemicals or waiting for them to decrease on their own? Also, the PH is a little high for columbians, can I lower that by doing more frequent water changes?

I cant think of any other information that might be useful off the top of my head. Let me know if I should check anything else.
Thanks for you help

Back
Top Bottom