Comments on use of API Phos Zorb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbrown

Aquarium Advice Regular
Wondering if anyone has any comments on the use of this product. I was considering trying it. I have a power compact lighting system (96 watts)over my 35 gallon planted tank. I am not using CO2. I realize this is a lot of light, however, I thought I would give it a try. The lights are currently on for 10 hours and I have been using the system for 16 days. Over the last several days I have noticed an increase in the brush algae on my plants. I have removed the leafs which are affected since it is impossible to remove the brush algae. I can reduce the hours down to 9. I do weekly 25% water changes and fertilize with Seachem's Flourish. Does anyone have any suggestions for controlling the algae before it gets out of hand?? The algae is on the plants only. I have three ottos who keep the green algae in control and one albino bristlenose. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I have tried using Phos-Zorb without any success. I had a green water incident about a month ago, my phosphates were >3.3. I placed the Phos-Zorb in my filter for about a month and measured phosphate levels every week after water changes and never noticed a difference?

Have you tested your tap water to see how much phosphate is in it before you do water changes? Have you tested your Nitrates? The cause of my algae bloom was too much light and not correct parameters between Nitrate and Phosphate, once I corrected the two my water has been clear since. I regularly dose Nitrates keeping it 20ppm and my phosphates 1-2ppm, and dose CSM+B daily and so far no speed bumps.

Thanks for your comments. You appear to be using even more wattage than I have but I am not using C02. I will pick up test kits to measure phosphate and nitrates. Are phosphate readings taken from tap water or aquarium water?? The nitrates are aquarium water right?? When you say "dose nitrates" do you mean reducing the levels by water changes?? How did you correct the phosphate/nitrate parameters? I'm sure the cause of my algae is too much light also. Did your algae grow on the plants or elsewhere? What is CSM+B? Sorry for all the questions - I'm a beginneer fishkeeper. I must be doing something right because I purchased a pair of juvenile german blue rams a month ago (wasn't even sure of the sexes) and they spawned last night!!

bbrown said:
Thanks for your comments. You appear to be using even more wattage than I have but I am not using C02. I will pick up test kits to measure phosphate and nitrates. Are phosphate readings taken from tap water or aquarium water??

Phospate readings are taken from your aquarium water, but some tap water (depending on where you live in the world) can have more than 1-2ppm.
You have almost 3 watts per gallon, you really need to start thinking about CO2 injection, I found the thread about you asking 'lighting requirements for a 35 gallon tank,' Malkore hits the nail on the head with your question:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=46847

bbrown said:
When you say "dose nitrates" do you mean reducing the levels by water changes?? How did you correct the phosphate/nitrate parameters?

My Nitrates were at 0 ppm and phoshate was greater than 3.3 ppm, so I started mixing potassium nitrate and dosing according to my tank size to make the nitrate levels 20ppm (I did it slowly over days so would not stres or kill my fish). My phosphate levels are still above 1ppm but that is because I use to use a discus buffer which had lots of phosphate in it, hopefully over time and water changes the levels will come down.

bbrown said:
Did your algae grow on the plants or elsewhere?

The algae bloom was from a single-celled algae (don't know the scientific name :oops: ) which only floated in the water, after the bloom I did have some black beard strans on some of my plants, but I added two SAE's and all were gone a little after a week.

bbrown said:
What is CSM+B?

PMD= poor man's dosing
csm+b= is a dry fertilizer that you mix to your tank's specific size and plant needs. I found this link with the help of plant experts Malkore and Travis Simonson. I read millions of threads involving Macro and Micro nutrients, below is an informative thread that will help you.

http://www.plantgeek.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=653

This site is about PMD

http://www.gregwatson.com/

I'll just echo rcjubei, and phosphate removal might not cover everything. I am in the same boat with phosphate out of the tap, high light, CO2 injected tank that normally runs flat out zero NO3, so I dose it to bring it up to 15-20ppm so the phosphate is not such a problem (the plants need phosphate, too). When I went out of town and the tank went un-dosed I returned to BBA all over the place. It has taken me a month to beat it back, but it is retreating.

I suspect CO2 injection might help things a lot for you, bbrown, but read the links above and see if you can see how to help the situation in your tank.

In that size tank a DIY CO2 setup is not so difficult to deal with, and it is certainly an inexpensive way to get started. Be sure you have adequate alkalinity (3-4 degrees KH) to keep your pH stable if you do decide to run CO2.

Back
Top Bottom