Community Tank Stocking Opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

loveroffish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all,

I finished my fishless cycle about a month ago and have slowly been adding fish every so often. It is a peaceful community tank setup with the following details:

- 36 Gallon Bowfront
- Fluval 406 Canister Filter
- 4 Pieces Malaysian Driftwood
- 2 Anubias Nana
- 3 Amazon Swords
- Glo-Life 20W 6700K T8 Flourescent Bulb (12 on/12 off - auto)
- New Life Spectrum Therma A+ .5mm Pellets
- 0 NH3 / 0 NO2 / 20ish NO3 / 7.6 Ph / 78-80 F

My main question/concern is do you think this is too overstocked with the following stock list?

AquStockImage.php

As of now I have all but the Cardinals and Blue Ram, which the cardinal I will get when the LFS gets in stock and the German Blue Ram would be months from now after the tank is well established. I am religious with the weekly water changes or when the levels get too high. I've done quite a bit of research before even starting the cycle, so I feel like I know what it will take to keep the tank "thriving"... Does anyone think this is wayyy over crowded? The largest fish will be the BN Pleco and all others should remain around 2" max, aside from the GBR. All opinions are welcomed please!!

A couple pictures as well...

View attachment 277956

View attachment 277957

View attachment 277958

View attachment 277959

Plenty more to share per request, lemme know what you think!

Yeah, I'd pare down that stocking. Specifically, you need to decide if you want a warmer (low/mid 80s) or cooler (mid/upper 70s tank). Blue Rams and Cardinal tetras do best around 82-84 F. That's too hot for Julii Corys (and most Cory spcecies). Sterbai Corys are the only regularly-available species that will handle warmer water over the long term, and 82 is about as high as I'd go with them. Also, Julii Corys are difficult to find. The "False Julii" Cory (Three-lined Cory; Corydoras trilineatus) is the more probable option. I have a shoal of these in my 20 and they're nice. I wouldn't go over 78 F with them, though.

Also, Otos are somewhat difficult to keep alive (due to needing a constant supply of algae) and do best in shoals of 5 or higher. If you're going to keep them for algae control, you're probably better off just going with the BN Pleco. BN Plecos are prolific algae eaters and, unlike many other Pleco species, active during the day and not particularly shy. They're out-compete your Otos for algae. BN Plecos are also easier than Otos diet-wise (you can feed them zucchini, cucumber, peas, etc.).

If I were you, I'd do a tank with fewer species and more individuals. I'd also nix the GBRs and Cardinals, and go with a lower-temp setup (77-79 F). GBRs and Cardinals are also on the fragile side. If it were me, I'd do:

6 of some Cory species (Sterbai, Three-lined, Peppered, Bronzed, etc.)
1 BN Pleco
1 Bolivian Ram (much harder than GBRs and do fine around 77-79 F)
10 Rummynoses
10 Harlequins

Keep the nitrate below 20 ppm and that tank will work nicely. You'll also be slightly understocked (I think), which should give you more flexibility.

Hi. Just from my own experience, I would stock at least 10-12 of the shoaling fish, and have fewer species. I have 15 cardinals and will add another 10 soon. Their behaviour is so much more confident in larger shoals. I would also choose dwarf Corys and up the number to 6 or 8, I have found that they mix quite well so I don't just keep one species.
I wouldn't put platy's in with tetras, I don't like mixing what I see as hard water and soft water fish, although I do know they would all acclimatise. Just personal preference.
However, your overall proposed stocking level does look a bit on the high side, which was your question.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom