Compatability, snakehead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane87

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi, I really like to look of the giant snakehead ( channa micropeltes ) but I am worried about my other fish. I know they will obviously attack anything they see as food but I have read reports online of them taking bites out of TSNxRTC and other such large fish just out of pure aggression. Obviously I don't want this happening to the fish I already have, anyone keep snakeheads or can give me an idea if these attacks are true or just hype. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

abstract373 said:
i thought you couldnt by those any more?

If your in the states, then they are illegal to own.

And as a resident of Maryland where we had the original outbreak, which they are still thriving in our waterways, to the point they moved to brackish a few years ago, to one being caught in the northern chesapeake.(salt). Not to long ago.

This is one of a very short list of fish I think the public should not own.

Since these fish are such a problem, why can't we make a food market for these fish?!? I'm sure they taste great with lemon and garlic.

I am in the uk and they are legal here. No ideas on the compatibility issue?

I can't think of anything other than maybe an armored catfish? Pleco. I really do not like snakeheads. On river monsters there was an episode about snakeheads that said they killed other critters not for food, but like you said for aggression.

Yea its not worth the risk to my other fish, thanks for the replys.

Twenty plus years ago I had on when they were legal. I had it in a tank with a large Plecostomus and a large pacu. Some dropped off the pacu at our shop. The pacu has killed all the fish in someone's 125 gallon tank. They were very happy to get rid of it.

The Pacu got the worst of it between it and the snakehead. Neither bothered the Plecostomus.

Back
Top Bottom