Compatibility

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bix22

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20 gal high with 6 zebra danio, 6 glow light tetras, 1 dwarf gourami, can I get a betta too?
Would the dg and betta get along? Anyone else have these 2 coexisting? I know the dg is peaceful but wasn't sure about the betta.
I want some more color and interest in my tank.
The compatibility chart says they are ok but I wanted to see if anyone had experience.

I have kept a betta in my community tank and it was harmless. in fact, he was the one who was picked on! one problem with bettas however is that they overeat. a lot. and their bellies get bloated and it messes with their swim bladder. so, it can be tough to limit their food when they are in the community setting. it got so bad that I had to net the betta to stop him from eating. if he does get bloated, feed him shelled peas as a laxative. you may not have this problem, but this was just my expirience! they do make a very pretty addition, however

I would be a little wary of adding a betta since you already have a dwarf gourami. Bettas and gouramis are both labyrinth fish, and they don't usually get along. It is very likely that they will see each other as a threat to their territory and that they will fight. It is not usually recommended to mix labyrinth fish, as it can be kind of like putting two male Bettas together.

Back
Top Bottom