Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Confirm as Bolivian ram?

We have a pair of GBR's but also have what I believe is a Bolivian. The way he spars and fights over territory with the male GBR, he acts like a male.

So my question is... Can anyone confirm that this is a Bolivian Male?

White balance is slightly off.

thanks!

Old 02-11-2012, 11:09 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

looks like a Bolivian to me

Old 02-12-2012, 12:12 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

1000% positive that this is a Bolivian ram. IMO it will not be possible to determine the sex for sure, without venting the fish. The guidelines that you read about for sexing this fish are just that; guidelines- and you can't really trust them.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama View Post
1000% positive that this is a Bolivian ram. IMO it will not be possible to determine the sex for sure, without venting the fish. The guidelines that you read about for sexing this fish are just that; guidelines- and you can't really trust them.
ive heard this is the same for GBRs as well. do you agree that venting is the only way to sex them as well unless they are breeding?
Old 02-12-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dunno, I think GBRs are MUCH easier to sex, personally. They also breed like crazy so that could be part of it. Terrible parents generally, but they breed like crazy.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

POTM Champion

Thank you for the responses.

I'd like to find a mate for this Bolivian. But if I drop say two or three in with him to pair off with, I'll never be able to catch them without pulling everything out of my tank. Probably should do this in a small QT tank and not my main tank.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

100% sure it is a Bolivian ram and it looks to me like it is a male. Bolivians are much harder to sex than GBR's, which are relatively easy, especially when the stock is good quality. It's when you run into the Asian bred varieties that sexing becomes difficult, but it is really pointless anyway since those Asian bred fish are exposed to hormones for quicker coloring that they usually die within 4 months of bringing them home from the LFS. These inferior rams have longer bodies than nice stock so it is easy to stay away from them.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I know and think two different things.
I know it's a bolivian ram. I think it's a female. Usually males have two black dots on the side behind the gills, and the females have one big black spot. Males also have more visible vertical lines in their rear ends than females. Also in that picture you can see a little ovipositor that female rams have.
maxwellag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:57 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here's my pair of bolivian rams. The male is on the right. I will post a zoomed in picture so it's more clear.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:02 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Here's the zoomed in pic, and another pic of my male. As you can see, he has light blue stripes on his rear end. Females also have this, but not as pronounced.

Tags
bolivian, bolivian ram, ram

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com