Congo Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AJP

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Heyy,
I have 3 congo tetras 2 males and 1 female, right now the two males are fighting over the female and the female is getting harassed. will the males stop chasing her and fighting eventually or will this keep happening?

Thanks

It will most likely keep happening. They should really be kept in groups of 6-8+. The more the merrier (tank space and load allowing of course).

thanks for that, I only have a 10g tank with 3 Congo tetras, 3 head and tail light tetras and a bristle nose catfish. I am getting a bigger tank around Christmas so i can get more then.
Do you know how to tell if it is a male or female at the pet shop when they are a couple of weeks old? because i can get a couple more females then.

:welcome: to AA! :)

I'm not exactly sure how to sex them, but this might help you:
Sexing Congo Tetras

On the other hand, your tank is WAY too small for anymore fish with your current stock. I have always heard 55 Gallons for a proper school of six congos, and I would not add anything else. What is your planned upgrade?

I would also move out the BN pleco.

Congos get big (for tetra). Once they reach maturity, it is EASY to distinguish the sexes. The males colors and finnage give up the secret. :)

A 55 or 40 breeder would be adequate for life (6+ years) IMO.

Back
Top Bottom