Connect two tanks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wideglide

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there a way to connect the water of two aquariums together to increase the volume and both more stable? TX!

Only if the water levels of both tanks are at the same height, or if they are on top of each other, and the top one has overflows, you can pump water from the lower to the upper, and the water that enters the overflow will drain back to the lower tank.

If the tanks are next to each other, you can use a couple U-tubes filled with water, linking both tanks. And then run a powerhead on one pumping water from one tank to the other, and the 2nd u-tube will act as an overflow and maintain near equal water levels.

Finally, just because 2 tanks are linked together doesn't mean it will be more stable. And whatever method you use, it will require more work for you, and possibly end up in a huge mess if not done correctly.

There's really no reason to connect tanks in the way you want to.

The only reason to do so would be to have one tank act as a refugium or sump.

I'll try to find the link...I've seen a plexi (i think) bridge for sale, that will connect tanks and allow fish to swim between them.

I'm pretty sure that it's expensive, and i don't really see the point of it, but hey, whatever floats you boat! I'll start hunting now.

Thanks for the info, guys. I was under the impression that the higher volume of water you have the more stable your water becomes. I read all over that a 10 gallon is more difficult to keep than a 20g or larger because the higher volume of water is usually more stable. How does that principle not apply with connecting two tanks together?

I've also read that one of the advantages to using a sump is that you increase the volume of water which lessens the chance for ph spikes, etc. I'm interested in connecting a 10 gallon to a 30 gallon which I thought would actually reduce the water changes, etc I'd have to do with the 10 gallon if it were isolated. Not that I'm interested in a sump but with regards to the volume of water isn't what I'm asking about basically using the same principle?

As far as making a mess goes I've got 17 reptiles so I'm used to messes. I am just trying to make my 2 tanks more efficient and stable and based on what I've read I thought connecting them would be a good solution. Thanks again for the help, guys!

Yes, larger tanks are more stable, but interconnected tanks are not. Each still has it's own water volume, and there's also the problems of potential flooding, tank draining, etc. Now sumps are a whole different aspect. Yes, it does increase the water volume. The difference, with a sump, you are usually running it with a higher volume water pump. Thus, the turnover rate in the sump is quite high. It's like water going through a canister filter. So yes, it does add water volume, which in turn increases stability. You don't want to interconnect 2 10G tanks for a total of 20G and have a turnover of 10x-20x on each, your fish won't like you.

Yeah I did see those and they do look really cool. Thanks for the link but I'm looking for function instead of aesthetics. I can't even fathom the problems you could have trying to clean those out!

Thanks Lonewolfblue!

Thanks tropicfishman but I'm looking for something not for display but to benefit from the filtration, etc.

Blazeherd2306 said:
There's really no reason to connect tanks in the way you want to.

The only reason to do so would be to have one tank act as a refugium or sump.

Hmmm, somehow missed this post earlier. This is exactly what I was thinking when I first came up with the idea. I was wanting to connect a 10 gallon to my 30 to act as a refugium or maybe a breeding tank. I wanted to eliminate the added water changes, increase the stability of the 10 gallon and reduce the shock of moving a fish from one tank to the other.

Wow, doing some more research I've read you can also have the refugium tank setup with algae to help reduce nitrates and even provide a food source for the herbivores in the main tank! You can also set it's lighting schedule opposite the main tank to reduce ph fluctuations between day and night.

I'm sure some of this stuff isn't necessary with just a 30 gallon freshwater tank with a few live plants in it but I love screwing with this kind of stuff. I also have to believe it must be somewhat beneficial and certainly can't hurt anything other than possibly making a mess.

I'm definitely giving it a shot. Might not happen real soon but I'm adding it to my list of projects.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Ahh, well then you could make the 10 gallon a refugium. I believe czcz has a setup like that. In case you don't know how a sump works:

http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

There are a few ways to reduce nitrates other than doing water changes. Coil denitrators seem to be one of the easier and more effective means of eliminating nitrates. ( http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/denitrator.html )

Of course, plants/algae are also good at removing nitrate.

Back
Top Bottom