convincing mother to let me get a bigger tank...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 20 gallon, 10 gallon, and 2 gallon tank all in my room and i want to get a 29 gallon because it has the same footprint as my 20 (i have a 20 long) just taller but she always says "no!" how can i convice her to let me get a bigger tank? if i do get the 29 i would reseal my 20 and put the 10 fish in the 20 and get a frog or something for the 10 (lol)

any advice is nice!

Jedi Mind Trick!

Just kidding... I am jealous... I had no fish as a child!

im 15 so i take care of my tanks, maybe she wont let me because im always working on my tanks and late for dinner and stuff :p

There are a couple ways that worked for me. Got me a 72 gallon and a 34 gallon saltwater and 10 gal freshwater
Does she like fish in any way? If so get her to see why the 29 gallon would be what she wants.
Also if you are always late for dinner try to be more early and say done with the tanks for today.(I always use to be late to dinner to lol)
Find a perfect spot for it that she is not most likely to use soon Say can i put here. Get a fish in there she likes.
They all worked for me

she isnt in to fish, im the only one in my family. i was thinking of getting one of those metal shelfs from homed depot and stack my tanks next to my bed, that would look really cool!

just do it without her knowing =]

thats how i got a 29, 10, 2.5, 1.5, and two 1Gs

and my biocube 14, allllll in my room =]

As a mom:
That whole "late to dinner and stuff" annoys us and we tend to lash out at the hobby /person / thing that 'causes' our beloved children to 'misbehave'.
Stop being late to dinner and stuff. That is a must! Every time you run behind for any reason she will turn it into, "those darned fish take up too much time!"
Show her that you can handle the responsibility, that means not only caring for the fishes, but also being able to handle your other responsibilities.
Offer an irresistible deal. If you get such and such grades and stop being late to family functions, can you get the new tank.
As far as the room needed, offer to get rid of something in order to make room by altering your room space.

Yeah, us moms can be pains, but we do it out of love.

+1.
Part of having a responsibility like fish is being able to take care of that AND still fit in your other responsibilities around it without disruption. I'm sure you have plenty of free time to look after your fish when your dinner is not on the table!

if she dont know much about the tank, just switch the 20g long into the 29g... she wouldnt know the difference... just tell her the tank grew because your fish grew =P

you should ALWAYS put your family first before anything, i do agree with your mom about you being late for dinner, dont be late to family stuff, if you have enough time to look after your fish before dinner, than there will be time after dinner... put it on hold and just get back to it

you have to know what comes first... and if you dont put family/school first, than i dont know if you really know your responsibilities yet

i agree with lisaz, you dont even have a income and you have all those tanks... who is paying for it? your parents of course, put in the fact that you have a couple filters + heater and w.e electrical things running 24/7... think of the bill, and you adding another tank... that increases it... so i do agree, get rid of 1 or 2 tanks and just add your 29g... dont be so greedy and want NEED NEED NEED without giving

LOL mark, thats a good point =] i am about to move into my friends basement and i can possibly fit a 90g! as long as i can pay a little more to the rent! its a good deal

its not that i dont have the money (i have a couple hundred saved up) and im not like extremely late to dinner, she will call that dinners ready and i will finish up what im doing (only about 2 minutes) and by then they are starting to eat. My family isnt what you would say as the most proper. dinner time means EAT time and you snooze you loose. lol

oh trust me i do, its:
1. family
2. school
3. soccer/fish

Back
Top Bottom