Correct PH Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AKelly

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi,

I have a 10 gal freshwater tropical tank. What should the PH level be at. I did a test and it is at 7.4. Is this too high? I heard it should be at 7.0.

A PH of 7.4 is fine for most tropical fish. What are you planning on getting?

Well we inheritted the tank from the previous owners of the house, with fish and all, although the previous owners did not take very good care of the tank. poor fishy's so I have been learning as I go.

There are four fish in tank now,

1 Blue Gourami
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Rosy Barb
1 Red Sword Tail.

I was already told that this mix is not so good as they are schooling fish, but what can I do, they seem okay, except sometimes the Blue bullies the dwarf, other than that they seem fine.

I finally got a heater for the tank, so I think fishies are happier now. Now it is the ph that concerns me, also what about adding some salt occasionally, I hear this was good for even the freshwater fish?

I got one of those magnet scrubbers, that this is awesome, it really takes the algae out and gets int those crevices...

:D Glad you like your algae scrubber. Although barbs do better in schools, there's really nothing wrong with your fish stock or PH. Just relax and enjoy the tank Akelly. :D

one question, my aunt has this stuff she just adds to the water that makes the water go automatically to 7.0. What do you think? Should I try it.

No - the best thing is a stable pH, not necessarily a neutral pH. When you start manipulating the pH it will swing one way and another and that is extremely stressful, so leave everything be for now.

Another thing that comes to mind in your situation is that if they did not take particularly good care of the tank, then the fish are almost definitely acclimated to high nitrate, so don't feel like you need to "clean" the tank or otherwise get things in ship shape right away. The fish will suffer if you do massive water changes and gravel vacs in an effort to tidy up. Do some very small water changes once a week, and get the fish used to better husbandry over time.

Wish my new house came with a tank of fish! :D

If I just add like 25% of new water, will this dramatically affect the PH?

Does anyone know if they make quiet air pumps. The one I have is extremely loud....or is there a way to make it quieter...

25% is way too much to start with. I'd suggest doing 10% this week. 10% twice next week. And 25% the following week.

Second, that, Brian :D

Quiet and air pumps do not really go together, but it depends on what you mean by quiet, LOL. You can put them on a mouse pad or on a folded towel or something to try and dampen the noise from vibration. Unless this is running your filter you don't really need air bubbles in the tank necessarily so you could bag it if it is too noisy.

Thanks,

It is not connected to the filter, so then you are saying i don't need the bubbler. I will try the towel first.

i put these algae destroyer drops in my tank yesterday, the pet store said safe for fish. anyway, the blue gourami ate some of it when it was dispersing throughout the tank. do you think he will be okay? he seems okay, but just checking...

You don't need bubbles, per se, unless you like them.

I avoid putting treatments in my tanks, since they often upset the balance and it is hard to put things right. I don't know if the gourami will suffer, but hopefully not.

Algae can be dealt with by increasing water changes, which you will be doing, very slowly, and eventually when the fish become acclimated to better conditions you can maintain a more frequent water change schedule, which may be all that is necessary to combat algae. Algae needs light and nutrients, so if you cut back on the light cycle (be sure direct sunlight does not hit the tank, too) and cut back on nutrients in the water (water changes) you should be able to get rid of it.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom