Cory Cats in a 20G Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltesemolly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 20G high aquarium and currently have two Emerald Green Cory Cats, a couple of ghost shrimp and some mollies. The aquarium has a mix of live plants and a "cave" that the fish like to hide in sometimes.

I've read that the Cory Cats do best in groups of 6 or more...I don't think a 20G would be good for 6 of them or am I wrong? Should I get more or is it ok to just have two of them? They seem to be happy. They are always together and have such cute personalities.

The problem is you have a 20gal high which has a small footprint. The emeralds get ~3.5" from what I've read. I personally wouldn't do more than 4 total unless you we're planning on going to a bigger tank in the near future.

From what ive seen from my false julii corys is two seem to be fine. If you have 3 one seems to be left out. If you have 4 they are happy and once you get to 5+ they get more active and stay in a larger group more often

I have a 20 h also. I there I have 6 cory and they are very happy! They get algae tabs broken up in there and the snails are doing well with that too. This is a community tank. With many species in it. The cory keep the tank really clean! My emerald is about 2 1/2 long and the rest smaller and they are all over 8 months old. Good luck!

Corydoras

I have a 20G high aquarium and currently have two Emerald Green Cory Cats, a couple of ghost shrimp and some mollies. The aquarium has a mix of live plants and a "cave" that the fish like to hide in sometimes.

I've read that the Cory Cats do best in groups of 6 or more...I don't think a 20G would be good for 6 of them or am I wrong? Should I get more or is it ok to just have two of them? They seem to be happy. They are always together and have such cute personalities.

Hello Mal...

Emeralds are one of the larger species of Corydoras. When I started keeping these fish, I was encouraged to keep them in larger tanks and stock one for every 5 gallons of tank volume, because they're very active foragers and cover large areas in the tank looking for food. I don't keep even the smaller species in tanks smaller than 45 gallons.

Many fish keepers keep these fish in smaller tanks and the fish live, but they'll thrive in larger tanks.

Entirely the opinion of an "old school" Corydoras keeper. You're the boss.

B

Ok thanks for all the great info! :) what are some of the smaller cory cats? Could you mix the emerald with a couple of panda cory or are they considered one of the larger ones as well?

Keeping Corydoras

Ok thanks for all the great info! :) what are some of the smaller cory cats? Could you mix the emerald with a couple of panda cory or are they considered one of the larger ones as well?

Hello again Mal...

Pandas are roughly a third the size of the Emeralds. You can mix the different species, as all are very peaceful fish. However, the fish are more comfortable in larger numbers and in groups of their own kind.

Consider a larger tank if at all possible, if you want to keep these fish.

B

Yes you can mix them. I have 4 panda and two emerald. They are really cute when they get together. A small oto cat, like the one I have, is a red fin oto. If you go to my home page and look through the pics, you will see a pic of them all.

I'm a big fan of the peppered cory cat. They stay small ( ~2 inches full size I think) and have cool markings.

I have 4 pepper, 2 julii and 1 elegans and they swim together as if they are all the same species. I think 5 is the minimum for a school of cories, but 5 emeralds would be to much for a 20 gallon high, i think 30 gallons would be the minimum I would put 5 emeralds in. So how about getting 3 small pandas and see if they all join forces.

Yes you can mix them. I have 4 panda and two emerald. They are really cute when they get together. A small oto cat, like the one I have, is a red fin oto. If you go to my home page and look through the pics, you will see a pic of them all.

Aw I looked at your pictures, very cute :) I just love cory cats. I will probably end up getting a couple of pandas to put with the other two.

I have 4 pepper, 2 julii and 1 elegans and they swim together as if they are all the same species. I think 5 is the minimum for a school of cories, but 5 emeralds would be to much for a 20 gallon high, i think 30 gallons would be the minimum I would put 5 emeralds in. So how about getting 3 small pandas and see if they all join forces.

I think you are right, 5 emeralds seems like too much for my tank...but maybe the smaller pandas will work. My two emeralds are pretty small right now. Only about an inch and a half, but I haven't had them long.

One day I will get a larger tank...I got this 20g thinking it was so big compared to what I had growing up..now I see the 75g at my lfs and I'm tempted to buy it because I would have so many more options with fish lol

Back
Top Bottom