cory cats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr.Limpitt

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey,I need help . I have 5 cory cats that I've had for 3 years.For the last month they have been doing some serious glass surfing. they never did this before but all of a sudden they started this. Sometimes they just lay in the plants.They don't eat like they used to either. There in a 55 gal. with some tetras otos sucker fish snails a few gouramis. My water parameters are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 5.0 ph 7.8. Everything else is doing good. I do partial water changes every week along with gravel vaccum.My rummy nose tetras are bright red noses which usually tells me my water is good. I just don't understand why all my corys are doing this .I hope somebody can help.

Id say what you are seeing is normal behavior for corys, and what you have been experiencing up until this new behavior was unusual.

When cories spawn, they can do a good amount of glass surfing looking for places to lay the eggs. If you can see the underside of the fish when it/they are surfing the glass, look at the pelvic fins to see if you see little round balls in between them. Those would be the eggs. Usually there are 3-5 of them at a time. (y)

Thank you for the guidance. I checked for little balls (eggs) I didn't see any. But I'll keep looking. I still don't understand that after 3 years why did all 5 start this behavior. I'll just keep a close eye on this situation and see what happens. Thanks again for the help

Thank you for the guidance. I checked for little balls (eggs) I didn't see any. But I'll keep looking. I still don't understand that after 3 years why did all 5 start this behavior. I'll just keep a close eye on this situation and see what happens. Thanks again for the help
If you had smaller ones when you started, they may have recently become sexually mature which explains the change now vs before. (y) The eggs would only be on the female(s) and she would be the larger fish in the group. I watched my Sterbai cories franticly " surf" the glass for close to 10-15 minutes straight looking for a place to deposit her eggs then when she finally put them somewhere, the males came behind her and ate the eggs. :facepalm::facepalm: I even watched a male push the female and eat the eggs she was holding in here fins. :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: So they are going to do what they are going to do when they want to do it. ;)

I’d take another vote for spawning activity. Mine only do this while spawning and they seem to do it with no rhyme or reason. Got at least 30 Cory hatched out of the last spawning session from them!

I don’t know about 3-5 eggs at a time tho, any time my Cory have spawned there’s literally a hundred eggs scattered around on the glass and that all came out of 5 adult Cory not all of which are females obviously lol

I’d take another vote for spawning activity. Mine only do this while spawning and they seem to do it with no rhyme or reason. Got at least 30 Cory hatched out of the last spawning session from them!

I don’t know about 3-5 eggs at a time tho, any time my Cory have spawned there’s literally a hundred eggs scattered around on the glass and that all came out of 5 adult Cory not all of which are females obviously lol

I'm just going on what I actually saw between the fins. I had a small school of albino cories and they literally covered a 40 long with eggs. I only saw them after they were done. The Sterbai I saw actually spawning and placing the eggs on the glass. (y)

Back
Top Bottom