Cory Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sea-note

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was at the LFS and saw some Cory's that looked healthy. I remembered reading that they need to be purchased as a group. I purchased the ones that looked healthy (1 Emerald Green, 1 Panda, and 1 Peppered).

My question is: Did I make a mistake in buying DIFFERENT kinds of Cory's, or do they need to be the same? If they need to be the same, I have a 60 gallon and these are the only Cory's/Bottom-feeders I have. How many more should I have? Tank is only about 1/2 stocked right now.

Thanks folks!

Cories will do best in groups, yes. I had two albinos and four peppered years ago. Now I have one albino (3+ years old) and two peppered (2 yrs) and they all do their own thing. Even when I bought the four juvie peppers they all did their own thing.

I'm not sure how many you can fit with a tank that size, I'm not sure of the dimensions. You can have more cories with longer tanks (rather than tall) since there is more room at the bottom.

I would think you could have 2-3 more cories, per fish. That is a big tank and you don't have too many fish in there currently, so I think you could add quite a few more cories and be fine :)

I have done corys my whole life almost and I have noticed that even 2 of them will be fine together. the albino ones will often work well with the emeralds but I did notice that if you have say 2 emeralds that have been together a long time and then add 2 more emeralds the 4 may not hang out together. They just stay in pairs. But yea you should get a few more of each. in my 29 I have 4 cories, 3 yoyo loaches and 1 clown loach(he shoals with the yoyos) and they are just fine. I do feed them sinking food tho to make sure they get enough food.

Back
Top Bottom