Corydoras: Blind or Brave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My cat loves to jump up at the front of my tank and watch the fish scatter, but the cories don't scatter. Of course this irritates my cat to no end but it does make me wonder... are cories visually impaired or merely brave by nature?

I think they can see. My Cories move sometimes when I am in front of the tank, but it seems to be only when the other fish move too. It's like they don't like to move when they've found a comfy spot. It's like me and my couch.

I think it depends on the cory. :) I have 6, three of one kind and three of another. My three peppered? Couldn't phase them. My three Schwartzi? Skittish as all get out.

~g

It could be a difference in fear response similar to rabbits. If they think they're hidden, they'll freeze unless they think their cover is blown. Seems plausible for a bottom fish with camouflage type markings anyway.

I WAS going to suggest that your corys are just messing with your cat's head, but Skymir's comment is probably on the mark.

Back
Top Bottom