Could my tank be cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IcedAngelKiss

Aquarium Advice Regular
I had fish in my tank for a lil over a month and then realized I hadn't properly cycled it, after losing over half of them and finding homes for the others I did a complete water change and started a fishless cycle...here's the thing...it's been 5 weeks and all I have is ammonia, nothing else, and the ammonia levels go down every day. When I started over everything was at their max now I have ammonia at 2 or less everyday (before bumping up to 4-5) and nitirites and nitrates at 0 and my pH is controlled at 6.5-7
Is it possible that I did a fish in cycle and when I did the water change to do a fishless cycle that I actually finished the original cycle?

Right before I did my big water change I had nitrates at their max, I haven't had anything show up by ammonia and it'd be gone if I weren't adding it everyday...

Is your ammonia dropping to almost non-existence within 24 hours of dosing up your ammonia? Mine started dropping ammonia from 4-2 then a few days later from 4-1 or 0 in 24 hours. I kept dosing as the nitrites were only going up slowly, within a week my ammonia was completely gone in 24 hours and the trites were steady and the next day nitrates shot up to 40ppm and ammonia and trites were 0 and ph was steady.

From what you said it sounds like you are on your way but just not there yet. (I say that because the lack of Nitrates) I started a thread on my cycling if you want to get a reference point. Good luck.

Yes I have the API test kit, and my ammonia levels have lowered like this since day one after the big water change, if I don't add it to the tank everyday I wouldn't have any.
And as far as nitrates go I did have them, then I took the fish out and did a huge water change.
I had fish in the tank for about 7 weeks and now fishless for 5, so that's 12 weeks it's been running...

Back
Top Bottom