Crabitat questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben K

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am looking at making a Crabitat and was thinking of the ramp that goes form dry land to the bottom of the water side of the tank. I was thinking of using some silicon and "gluing" on some rocks to enable the crabs a way of climbing the glass ramp. Is this good or would there be a better method? Suggestions?

Also, on the dry part, what kind of substrate should I use? The set up I was looking for is this:

img_806957_0_5c00df6ce2a93eba8c4a93154768dbad.jpg

I was thinking of runnign the filter so the water it was outputting would return up on the dry area, perhaps going through the substrate or if that wasn't desirable, going down a stream. If the stream option was more desirable, I'd make a glass section along the back wall where the water would come out like a water fall and run down a 1" wide × 1" deep steam before running into the main water in another smaller water fall. Which of the two ideas sound better? Waterfall into stream into main water, or water flowing through substrate to get back to main body of water through gap from the ramp and the bottom of the tank?

Also, in a crabitat, what sorts of real plants could I plant in the substrate or is it best to use just fake plants?

Also, i have hear a lot of talk about putting fruit leaves into the tanks. What are these leaves? Where can I get them?

Pool filter sand is a nice sand substrate. It's cheap and available at any pool supply store.

img_808036_0_1b5d3d0c115ed98ab6cc0c280b0ec387.jpg

It should keep your sand from sliding off a little bit better. There's no reason the ramp has to take up the whole width of the tank either this way, giving the crabs some more water room to occupy. Notice the substrate level in the water is above the ramp and border. You can probably coat your ramp in silicone and pour sand over it to hide it completely.[/url]

Okay, I might do that then, as I will be buying glass tomorrow.

Would I need some sort of gravel at the bottom or would this not be needed?

Please bear in mind that I have never built one of these before. I'm just guessing what would work. Gravel on the bottom seems pointless as the sand will sink right through and eventually have to cover it. You may want some larger stones on top of the sand or maybe larger stones glued to your ramp, but gravel itself should be unnecessary and would probably just get buried in the sand. Hopefully this works out and doesn't end up a total mess. Good luck. Show us pictures.

Thanks. I'll be sure to post some pics when I get it all set up.

How much sand area would a few fiddler crabs need, say 3 or 4? How deep do they dig?

I'm not familiar with Fiddler Crabs but pool filter sand generally comes in 50 pound bags. That is enough to do the substrate of a 55-gallon standard tank. I'm assuming your crab tank won't be larger than this. It won't run you more than $15 most likely.

Back
Top Bottom