Crazy Looking Black Molly Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andos99

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I currently have three black molly fry in my tank (approx. 2 months old) Probably would be considered juveniles by now. Anyways, two of them look like black mollies should....Black! The third oddball is something I've never seen before. She was born and still is completely silver with a black polka-dot design (kinda looks like a zebra danio, but with a molly body). She is also about half the size of the other two fry. She appears to be in great health and has always held her own. Very odd fish....I'll try to get a picture. Anyone seen this before??

Sometimes you get this sort of thing. I would keep this fry and breed it back to a parent to try and discover more interesting genetics. But that is just me.

Sounds like there are genetics in the parents that would allow for some dalmation-type offspring....she should be quite pretty as she matures.

greenmagi said:
mattrox is right.. if you breed it with the parent of the opposite sex you might get more or more interesting ones!!! :D

Yeah, nothing like a little parent-offspring inbreeding to bring out those great genetics.... :roll:

!

just a side note.. if you cant figure out wich one is the parent of the opposite sex then a sibling from the same spawn is the next best thing... if you were intrested..

ahh yes.. those great gentics! :D

I would then do some out crossing......... to introduce new genes of course. The colouration can be stabilized without HAVING to have weak fish.

when interested in genetic manipulation do need to make sure to cover all the bases.... 8O I agree matrox.. you really dont have to have weak fish.. :D
Ive only read a couple of books about it but if I were lucky enough to get a nice looking out-shoot in a spawn I would definitely take a shot at stabilizing it..
by the way mattrox.. do you know anywhere someone could get molly cuddled out if things got hairy..?

sounds like a dalmation molly!!
is this what it looks like??

10molly_dalmation2.jpg

not quite....her pattern is more uniform and flows in a somewhat symmetrical fashion. Her base color is silver too and not white....if she makes it, I think she's going to be a really fantastic looking fish.

Im assuming someone has already asked but do you have a way of taking a picture of the fish? I would be very interested in seeing it..
:D :D

I'm going to try and borrow a camera tonight and get a decent picture up soon....I promise!

Back
Top Bottom