Crush Coral in new tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bron

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, help ......
Ive had tanks for years and I started a new 75 gallon for cichlids.
I rinsed all my coral very well and have an outside pump ( good ) and two power heads.

As usual ...... the new setup always gets cloudy! Takes a few days to cycle.

Getting worried .. it's VERY cloudy and isn't getting better ... it's only beed 3 days, but I'm wondering .... do I need to do a water change in this new set up, or just keep letting it cycle. Did I not rince the coral good enough? They were new bags ... 5 of them.

Another issue ..... I've always been old school, my tanks have been crystal clear with an underground filter. THIS TIME ... I added a new outside filter. Marinelife-90 gallon pull...... could these two together be causing the trouble????

Thanks. Bron

How are you cycling the tank? Fishless or fish-in? If fishless what is your ammonia source?

My google skills must be failing me on the filter side. I can't find anything called the Marinelife-90. Do you have a link to what you are using?

So sorry

Made a mistake .... it is called Marineland ... with emperor power filter cartidges ...:)

No fish in tank.

So it is an emperor 400?

Is your tank cycling or is it just running with water?

What's ammonia/nitrite reading ? Is the light open 24/24 ? Is the water more green or white ?

The cloudy water can be a result of fine particules in suspension in water column.

Everything is running .... all filters going for 3 days ...Water is clean ... water is new... new tank ... New coral ... it's in a cycle .... but just haven't seen it this bad ,,, clean, but very cloudy. I'm susspecting all the new Crushed coral. I could do water change changes, but I hate to start the cycle over again. Thanks for trying to help. I've never had any issues before, so I don't have testers on me... is there a place to post a pic? I'm new.

Everything is running .... all filters going for 3 days water is new... new tank ... New coral ... it's in a cycle .... but just haven't seen it this bad ,,, clean, but very cloudy. I don't have testers on me... is there a place to post a pic? I'm new.

You're saying cycling is in progress... What is the progress ?

Ammonia ? Nitrites ? Nitrites? Your LFS can test this for you for cheap price.

Also, if the tank is running since 4 days, you should be at the ammonia step. Did you added things to the tank to start the cycle ? Without ammonia source, cycle won't kick.

Cloudy water can be caused by bacterial bloom during cycling period, there's nothing to do except wait a week for the nature to correct itself. No water changes needed in this case, no filter cleaning, etc.

Are you adding ammonia?

A tank that is running is not cycling, it is just running. There needs to be an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed off of. There were some old myths about running a tank for a week or a month before putting in fish but that practice turned out to be fairly unhelpful.

Once we figure out where you are, or are not, in the cycle we can provide some better advice.

Are you adding ammonia?

A tank that is running is not cycling, it is just running. There needs to be an ammonia source for the bacteria to feed off of. There were some old myths about running a tank for a week or a month before putting in fish but that practice turned out to be fairly unhelpful.

Once we figure out where you are, or are not, in the cycle we can provide some better advice.

True, trust him.

Back
Top Bottom