Cycling Tank, algae on gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Minabug

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm in the process of cycling my little 5 gallon aquarium, the levels are already almost clear but the gravel is getting algae on it. How can I keep algae off the gravel? Is it safe to put a fish in (once the tank is done cycling) with algae on the rocks? Once I have a fish in there how can I keep the rocks from getting algae? I was thinking shrimp, a snail, or one of those little cory catfish but I don't want it to hurt my future fish (I really want a betta). Any suggestions?

Also, if I got ghost shrimp, a snail, or a cory catfish, does the water have to be perfect levels before they can go in? I'm sure it does for the cory but I didn't know about the others. Since I'm still in the process of cycling my little tank.

Minabug said:
I'm in the process of cycling my little 5 gallon aquarium, the levels are already almost clear but the gravel is getting algae on it. How can I keep algae off the gravel? Is it safe to put a fish in (once the tank is done cycling) with algae on the rocks? Once I have a fish in there how can I keep the rocks from getting algae? I was thinking shrimp, a snail, or one of those little cory catfish but I don't want it to hurt my future fish (I really want a betta). Any suggestions?

What kinda of algae? Here's a good article to help u identify and take the problem!
http://gwapa.org/wordpress/articles/algae-in-the-planted-aquarium/

As far as algae hurting Ur fish. They wouldn't.

What kind of algae is it? Try turning the lights off for a few days. Corys do not eat algae. Please do not add anything until the cycle is done.

Minabug said:
Also, if I got ghost shrimp, a snail, or a cory catfish, does the water have to be perfect levels before they can go in? I'm sure it does for the cory but I didn't know about the others. Since I'm still in the process of cycling my little tank.

Shrimp is a yes! And snails not so much IMO. Cory catfish will be too big for Ur 5gallon as their need to be in groups or at least 3 I believe? Ur best bets are shrimp or snails :)

It looks like just green or black algae starting on the rocks. It's just flat against the gravel, doesn't look raised or anything.

Would shrimp need to be added before the betta, after, or could they all go together at once? Also, do I only need one ghost shrimp? Do they keep the tank clean?

Minabug said:
It looks like just green or black algae starting on the rocks. It's just flat against the gravel, doesn't look raised or anything.

Would shrimp need to be added before the betta, after, or could they all go together at once? Also, do I only need one ghost shrimp? Do they keep the tank clean?

Use the link to help u identify Ur algae. It Blue green algae.

It's a good idea to introduce ur shrimp before u Betta. Also a good idea to provide a hiding area for Ur shrimp! (plants). Ultimately it's base on Ur Betta personality whether or not ur shrimp will get eaten/killed.

Introduce more than one! They are cheap and their bioload are so insignificant!

If I didn't go with shrimp what would be the next best thing to help with the algae in the tank? I've heard on other websites that mystery snails have a big bioload and don't get along well with bettas and the water needs to be different than normal fish for the snails. I had a snail when I was younger (not an aquarium snail), next day ended up with 100's of those little things. So I really don't want a snail reproducing.

It's odd that I have algae growing, since I've been keeping the light off the tank while it's cycling.

Minabug said:
If I didn't go with shrimp what would be the next best thing to help with the algae in the tank? I've heard on other websites that mystery snails have a big bioload and don't get along well with bettas and the water needs to be different than normal fish for the snails. I had a snail when I was younger (not an aquarium snail), next day ended up with 100's of those little things. So I really don't want a snail reproducing.

It's odd that I have algae growing, since I've been keeping the light off the tank while it's cycling.

Can u please post a pic of this algae? I'm telling u identify it so we can go from there.

Get amano shrimp, like 2 or 3, and a betta, that's about all that will fit.. idk, never had much luck with ghost shrimp, as there sold basically as food, so there in poor condition, and usually die, or bring crap to your tank..go for a sturdier shrimp, and grt the algea undercontrol, making sure ou know what it ism some could be bad for your tank

Back
Top Bottom