dead neons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megastri

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a total of five black neon Tetras. One had passed within the first week. And now there's been one dead every morning. They lose their color about a day before. I now only have two left and have not lost any other fish.

What's going on? :/

I bought a total of five black neon Tetras. One had passed within the first week. And now there's been one dead every morning. They lose their color about a day before. I now only have two left and have not lost any other fish.

What's going on? :/

Is the tank cycled? What other fish are there? What are the water parameters? How much do you feed them? If there are other fish, have they been dieing too? Any signs of sickness?
I need a bit more info on your tank to help you out.

The tank has been cycled. I have had it for a little over a month. It is a 10 gallon lightly planted tank. I also have three harlequin rasboras and a really tiny Pleco who will be rehomed when he gets too big. So I've kept an eye on him. Water temp is 78 degrees. I just put a test stick in there and here is the reading.

GH 180
KH 80
PH 6.5
NO3 0
NO2 0.5

I have not lost any other fish. Just the neon tetras

This is what the tank looks like if that helps at all

ForumRunner_20130721_094014.jpg

You dont test for ammonia? Your tank may not have had enough time to cycle. These test kits can be very inaccurate so I would invest in a API master liquid test kit. Your nitrite appears to have 0.5. I would do a 40% water change to get that down

You dont test for ammonia? Your tank may not have had enough time to cycle. These test kits can be very inaccurate so I would invest in a API master liquid test kit. Your nitrite appears to have 0.5. I would do a 40% water change to get that down

:agree:

Even though they can be kind of pricey, It's worth it in the long run.

+1 on the API master test kit, well worth the $30, they are much more accurate than the test strips. I like your aquarium, very nice.

A second the API master test kit too. It's accurate and a great deal overall.
And yeah, your aquarium is quite nice :).

:agree:

3rd on the test kit!

Believe me! I used test strips this whole time and just switched to the liquid kit a week ago or so.

Test strips were reading 60 nitrates (already high I know)
Liquid kit.... OFF THE CHARTS!! It said over 160!! Holy crap strips don't even go that high!

Anyway, the kit is on sale on Amazon for 15. I'd take advantage while you can ;)

Beautiful tank. Sorry for your loss.

Amazon is the best price I've found on the API test kit, too. They sell a lot of them, but still check the expiration dates anywhere you buy it. I got mine there and the expiration dates where very good.

Edited. Ps. Isn't NO2 nitrite? That needs to be 0. Nitrite of .5 ppm and Nitrate of 0 says not cycled to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom