Dead shrimp :'( why??!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PleaseHelp

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 4 shrimp in an unfiltered 3 gal with 2 plants and cholla wood. I was going to put them in a 50 gal filtered and heated with more plants, but they were too small and my other plants would eat them, so i set up a tiny tank for them to grow for a bit before i put them in. 2 of my shrimp are dead!!!!!! 1 is smooshed beneath the rocks, one is laying dead on the rocks, i can't find the others (Maybe in the cholla wood?) I'm so upset! What did i do wrong? The water was at like 72 degrees (It was the best i could manage, i know it is not optimal) and the water was kind of murky. Did i over feed? I gave a small pellet every day, i gave some flakes one day which was a mistake, as they didn't eat many of them and made the water kinda murky. They died 4 days after i got them. I don't know what went wrong! Please help me :((((

I believe the pollutants accumulated to the point that it harmed the shrimp. They were eating, producing waste and with no filtration (not sure what the water change schedule was) the water conditions deteriorated rapidly is such a small volume. It is not uncommon for shrimp to die even in good conditions and after careful acclimation (I prefer the drop method). I bought 15 RCS over a 3 month period from an LFS and only 5 survived. I bought another 25+ from another AA member for about a 1/4th the price and the survival rate was great.
In hindsight, perhaps placing the shrimp in a floating net breeder container in the 50g might have been more successful.
Water changes!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I mentioned in a previous thread that shrimp are very prone to dying right after being added to a new water supply. They just dont take change very well.

Back
Top Bottom