Decoration ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tracie6283

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have a tropical community with black sand and rose quartz in the middle hiding the bubble sticks. I need to do something about the background or the corners or something. Id like some kind of plants or something but I don't know what color. HELP!

Oh and pics so far.

Attachments

• image-3305151538.jpg
    image-3305151538.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 154
  • image-2200830390.jpg
    image-2200830390.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 148
  • image-2954801394.jpg
    image-2954801394.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 147
It's a nice contrast but the formation is a little uniform, I would make 2-3 formations or piles in other area's of the tank.

I actually really like the rocks that way. I would say put some manzanita driftwood in the back/corners.

Lots of plants in the corners ... Light colored ones ;)

Oooo...I envy you that magnificent pile of rose quartz!

Here is what I would do..first a background to hide the cords. This will put all attention on the tank, not what is behind. I would go with black. (You can paint the outside of the back with several thin coats of latex paint, allow lots of drying time between coats.)

Then break up the pile into 2 piles, a large and a small. Both piles off center...maybe put the bigger pile in the back right corner, and the smaller nearer the middle and front. Just do the bubble wands under the biggest pile. Consider gluing the rose quartz chunks into some other shape than just a pile....maybe a series of cliffs and ledges? That will give some height and draw the eye up. You can use clear aquarium sealant to glue them together. Just make sure you come up with a design that is pretty much stable by itself, and use the glue as a stabilizer. You do not want any thing to come loose and drop! You might even consider putting a sheet of egg crate diffuser down first, then put the black gravel on top of that, then put the rock formations. That way, if a piece does fall, the "hit" will be spread out over a larger area and less likely to break the bottom glass. You can paint the egg crate flat black with Krylon Fusion, and you will never see it under the gravel.

Then a row of dark green plants along the back, bunched up little, not in a straight line. Maybe put a few smaller versions of the same plant coming out of the piles of quartz.

I will accept payment for my decorating advice in the form of a chunk of rose quartz...thank you very much!:D

I like all the ideas! I just didn't want to get a bunch of green bc i feel like that won't "match". I like the idea of a couple of piles of the quartz, but the bubble sticks we have are suction cupped to the glass itself in the back and i want to hide them. I like the idea of painting the glass instead of just a plastic background, bc it seems no matter what i use, i can't get all the bubbles out of it. Maybe I'll look into breaking up the pile, some driftwood ( any good websites to get it from let me know) I was also thinking maybe a mirror as the back ground but don't know about the stuff on the back of the mirror leaking into the water or something. Agh, work in progress.

The mirror idea is kinda cool as long as it don't stress your fish.... Also you wouldn't have to go with green plants... U could do
Black or pink ... Just depends on what u want!! Whatever u do I have a feeling it'll look great :) u could get some sort of tall decor an not plants at all :) I have very few in one of my tanks and then I'd like more in the other...

I was also thinking maybe a mirror as the back ground but don't know about the stuff on the back of the mirror leaking into the water or something. Agh, work in progress.

I personally do not like a mirror background, but some people love them. But if you go this route, DO NOT put the mirror inside the tank! The backing could leach something, I suppose, not sure about that. Not a mirror expert, but I would not risk it. My bigger concern is trapping water or food or a dead fish behind the mirror. Never a good situation. It would be safer all around to put the mirror outside the tank, at the back. Not sure how to attach it there, however.

Back
Top Bottom