Decorative Lasers, heal or harm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
http://www.miraclebeam.com/aquarium-laser-study.html

this is direct from the manufacturers site. I haven't had a chance to read through it yet since i have to get back to work. i'll read it when i get home and turn in my report then :)

*edit*

Ok, so I read the info at the link above, as well as another link (from the right side of that same page) that showed a review from fishzine. As for the scientific value of the lasers, I would say that it's kinda iffy. THere are no solid facts to back up their claims. Atleast not detailed enough for my tastes.

But, having a set of these myself, I have to say that the LED setup looks pretty cool. The lasers, I think I can do without, or atleast I'd rather have more LED's but if applied right, I think they can enhance the asthetics of the tank. If you put the beam above the water line and have it shine through, you can get a nice shimmering effect as the laser passes through the rippling water surface. I don't think the laser is capable of harming the fish any more than it's allegedly helping them.

I've got a pic in my gallery of the LED system in my 15H. I just also set up the second set I've been sitting on in my 55G. Yeah, I wouldn't go with the lasers. It just doesn't seem to be wise. But the LED's, granted are bright when they are looked at directly, aren't piercing like lasers. Although I have to wonder, is it a true laser? Unless you're water's pretty cloudy, I don't think the laserr would be that decorative. It's quite possibly a sharper focused LED beam. I'm not sure, because I've never seen the laser system hooked up. The LED's are sweet though. Like Deitta's hubby, I'm huge into colored accent lighting too. I rigged my own LED system to my tank before these submersible ones came out. Let's just say this: I've got 3 computers, 2 tanks, a bicycle and a car that all glow with accent lighting. Blue's my favorite. OK, I'm done.

i'll mount the lasers on the outside of my tank aiming at my ceiling and make it look like there's a hollywood premier going on
I like it....The stars of tonight's show...dwarf cichlids
You just better make sure the cichlids have the right outfits :wink:

CiRXSi said:
Although I have to wonder, is it a true laser?

I am certain they are real as the guy I bought my 125g had one in his that would project across the room onto his wall. I don't think I would ever believe that they would help the fist but I doubt they would hurt. Set up right like some of you are suggesting, I think it could be pretty cool if you weren't going for a total natural looking tank.

iahve those but i dont think they are the leaser ones they are just called hi lites. there isnt a wrod laser on them. they worked great and didnt seem to bother my fish

I had both the lasers and the led's a while back. I really doubt the lasers have any effect on the fish one way or another- they're no stronger than a cheapie laser pointer, particularly once they go through an air/water interface- half the light is reflected onto the ceiling. The look neat, but can only be really seen at night, and they tend to peter out pretty quickly- about 6 mo. if you have them on all the time.

-J

Back
Top Bottom