Decorative rock centerpiece

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hooie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to add a big hunk on Turquoise or Malachite to my 75 gal tank. I don't know much about turquoise, but I know that Malachite dust is poisonous, but is ok to handle otherwise. Will either of these stones leech anything into the water?

Some time ago, I was thinking of making a Southwest themed aquarium, and I did some research on stones found in Arizona - including turquoise and malachite.

Malachite is a definite no-no in the aquarium - it is a copper ore. Copper in any form is extremely toxic to aquatic animals.
Turquoise is also problematic because it usually contains veins of iron, aluminum, and copper.
From an aquascaping point of view, for some reason, bluish/greenish stones don't look nice in the aquarium by themselves.

I decided to use aquarium safe stones like petrified wood, sandstone, and red slate. Jasper is another stone you could use, and it is available in green and red varieties.

If you already have these rocks, consider completely coating them in a clear epoxy made for aquariums, so the rocks won't leach.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't purchased anything yet, it was just something that I was starting to think on.

Some of the inert rocks that you can use that won't alter water chemistry are lava rock, slate, quartz, granite and sandstone.

Rocks that should be avoided unless you are keeping Rift Lake cichlids and other "hard water" loving fish are chalk, limestone, marble and tufa. "Holey rock" is also calciferous and will alter water chemistry.

Bryan

Essayons89 said:
"Holey rock" is also calciferous and will alter water chemistry.

Bryan

I have "holey rock" in my tank, what changes should I look for in the water chemistry? Thanks a lot for a quick reply, you have me worried :?

Tony Starks said:
I have "holey rock" in my tank, what changes should I look for in the water chemistry? Thanks a lot for a quick reply, you have me worried

Holey rock can raise the ph and hardness of your water.

Bryan

Essayons89 said:
Tony Starks said:
I have "holey rock" in my tank, what changes should I look for in the water chemistry? Thanks a lot for a quick reply, you have me worried

Holey rock can raise the ph and hardness of your water.

Bryan

Are there filter medias I can add that lower ph and or hardness? Is it a permant change or will it diminish over time.

As long as you have the rock in the tank the change will be there, but it is very subtle. It is not worth trying to add media to the filter to counteract - much simpler just to remove the rock.

It is not going to take pH 6.8 water and in a week turn it into pH 8.0, but it might bump you up to 6.9 or 7 pH and increase hardness by a degree or two.

TankGirl said:
As long as you have the rock in the tank the change will be there, but it is very subtle. It is not worth trying to add media to the filter to counteract - much simpler just to remove the rock.

It is not going to take pH 6.8 water and in a week turn it into pH 8.0, but it might bump you up to 6.9 or 7 pH and increase hardness by a degree or two.

So the rock needs to go? Darn, I paid $30 for the two and they are kind of the centerpiece of the tank.

The driftwood BigAl sells, does it sink when you get it or do you need to go through a whole process to waterlog it? Man, I've been having some bad luck, but I do appreciate the help, my pH is kind of high and I was wondering why. Damn LFS!

i think most driftwood you buy online or at the store has a piece of slate attached to it... but im not sure

Great, I tossed my rocks, better that then toss a dead fish or two. Still it sucks :(

Tony, you don't have to toss the rocks out. I would hold onto them in case you ever set up an African cichlid tank. They would also be okay for a livebearer tank. Many of the Central American cichlids come from med-hard water, the rocks might be okay with them too.

Bryan

I plan on having this community tank for a while, so no sense in having rocks lying around my apartment for years. I really appreciate the knowledge, my pH was up at about 8 and that can't be good for my fish. I did a 50% water change after I got rid of the rocks and its already coming back down. Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom