Diatom filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can't rememer if that's the one that one of the members in here had problems with, the hoses were thin and would kink all the time, as well as other things. I recommend the XL model. That other person has also moved to the XL as well, I do believe.

The XL is a much better filter in my opinion because the hoses are much thicker, and do not kink. It also has a good flow rate as well, 450GPH. I really like mine. Here's the link....
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp19165/si1383445/cl0/vortexdiatomfilterxl

I use a HOB Magnum with diatom powder for polishing my tanks and it has a worked really well for me. It's a much cheaper alternative to the Diatom filters. It's also very easy to set up.

Just figured I'd offer another option....

Lonewolfblue said:
I can't rememer if that's the one that one of the members in here had problems with, the hoses were thin and would kink all the time, as well as other things. I recommend the XL model. That other person has also moved to the XL as well, I do believe.

The XL is a much better filter in my opinion because the hoses are much thicker, and do not kink. It also has a good flow rate as well, 450GPH. I really like mine. Here's the link....
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp19165/si1383445/cl0/vortexdiatomfilterxl

I saw that one but with most of my tanks on the small side I thought that flow rate would be too much.

I like the price of the HOB magnum. What else would I need to get with that filter?

maxwell1295 said:
I use a HOB Magnum with diatom powder for polishing my tanks and it has a worked really well for me. It's a much cheaper alternative to the Diatom filters. It's also very easy to set up.

Just figured I'd offer another option....

Which filter is this? How can it be used as diatom filter? Any other HOB filters that can be used similarly?

Sorry, I meant to type HOT Magnum, not HOB. It's a 'hang-on-tank' canister filter that can easily be move from tank to tank. No hoses to deal with. Just fill it up with dechlorinated water, hang it on the tank, and plug it in. Here is a link to the filter.....BTW, I got it new for $25 on eBay.

The white cartridge is the Micron cartridge. It can be used with or wothout diatom powder. I have used it both ways and find that it does a great job without the powder so I don't use it anymore. Using it with powder also cause the filter element to get clogged quicker and requires more maintenance to maintain good flow.

The micro filter work very well by itself. I'm sure mine may have some leftover diatom powder in it from when I used it previously. The first time I did it, I used too much powder and ended up clogging the filter element. It's a very fine filter and it doesn't take very much to clog it. After that episode, I have used it without the powder, but with really good results. All I do is let it run on each of my 4 tanks for about an each on PWC days, as needed.

So it comes with everything needed to be a diatom filter or you still need the powder?

Ok. I ordered the HOT/HOB Magnum. I also ordered two pounds of diatom powder.

I hope I will be able to get rid of my green water problem with this setup.

Ok got my HOT/HOB magnum today along with 2lbs of diatom powder. Right now I'm just running the microfilter cartridge it comes with trying to get rid of GW. How do I use the powder? Do I just dump some in the tank? If so how much do I use?

The HOB magnum has been running since last night and the results are great! My GW is nonexistent. Time will tell if it will return though. I recommend getting one if you have been thinking about a non-expensive alternative to a diatom filter. Plus it can be used as all around filter as well. Definitely a wise purchase. Thanks for the tip maxwell1295!

Back
Top Bottom