Diatoms...... Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love_MyFish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just notices that my 2 tanks that have been set up 4 months have **** DIATOMS... What can I do to get rid of them? Can I do anything to prevent them in future tanks?

By diatoms I assume you mean brown algae ... if so, it's common for relatively new tanks. I have it in mine ... see the link below for ideas on how to deal with it, but silica in water promotes their development. Assuming you use tap for your PWC's do you know the source of your tap? If it's ground water like mine, it could be high in silica content. It does not harm fish .. and some enjoy nibbling on them.

Greater Washington Aquatic Plant Association » Algae in the Planted Aquarium

Diatoms will go away by itself once it uses up all the nutrients in ur water column (silicates) Its something all newly setup tank go through. It's a waiting game. If u dislike the look buy ottos. But these are small catfish and are really sensitive to change in water parameters Especially ph and nitrate. If u have aggressive fish then ottos ain't ur answer.

I don't know if there is any way to prevent them other than something that sequesters silicates. I do have to say my bristlenose pleco had my tank free of diatoms in less than a week.

I have seen very few new tanks that did not get at least some diatoms, it just is one of those things.

Back
Top Bottom