Diatoms on fish, solution?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sssea

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had a really bad problem with diatoms in my tank for months. Now, my fish has been rather listless and he has diatoms on both his sides! What do I do?

Attachments

• image-3580370979.jpg
    image-3580370979.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 191
Diatoms don't bother fish. Something else must be the problem. Either your fish has some sort of infection, or he's rubbing against something and getting diatoms on himself. What are your tank params, and can you see any other signs of disease on the fish?

--Adeeb

Tank is 29 gal with one other oranda. Its been up probably 7 or 8 months, diatoms have been there for 3 or so months. Params are 0 to less than .25, 0 and between 5 - 20. I keep up on water changes and he has no signs of flashing or anything that would result in him rubbing on anything with diatoms. He's been sitting on the bottom a lot and only really comes up for food. The only health problem he's had is trouble with bloating. I've tried everything from fasting, peas, different foods. Nothing seems to help and the problem comes and goes.

Any ideas? I hope this info helps.

Hmm. Could you get a closer pic? If bloating is a regular occourance, does he normally sit on the bottom when bloated? Also, if he's always getting bloated, he needs more fiber in his diet. Just feed him peas once a week even when he's not bloated, and/or fast him for a day every week.

--Adeeb

Are the spots bumpy or indented or are they flush against the fish, can you tell?

I'm wondering if it's healing from something. Did/are you cycling the tank with this fish? Your water values seem OK now (although is ammonia 0 or .25? Nitrite?), but have they always been that way with this fish in the tank? What is your water change schedule?

Here's some info:

http://www.happy-goldfish.com/black_spot.php

Last edited:
My fish has been getting steadily worse. I still don't know what the underlying problem is. He's stopped swimming and eating. I've been doing small daily water changes, but they seem to stress him out a lot. He gets swept away by the current.

So my question now is when do you let go? I can't imagine the thought of euthanizing my fish, but he seems to have nothing left and I'm worried that whatever he has is going to affect my other fish. I've had Augustus for so long and he's always been my favorite, I just don't know if I can end his life. I don't even eat meat, I have no idea if I'm capable of this.

Please help me.

The spots are not raised, but look flat against the scales and my other fish has no symptoms at all. I'm not sure if it's the parasitic form of black spot. As for ammonia burn, wouldn't the other fish show this too? I keep pretty tight on my water changes.

Should I treat with an anti parasite med for now? I'm not sure he'll last through the treatment, but I'm willing to try.

Update on my fish: I spoke to an incredibly wonderful and knowledgeable lfs that was willing to put him down for me. When I brought him in, they said his breathing was strong, so he had a slim chance of survival and they would treat him in their hospital tank FOR FREE. I cannot recommend Age of Aquariums highly enough. These people are really passionate about their fish and incredibly sweet and helpful. I encourage everyone to check out their website or their store if you are in Long Beach, CA.

Sssea said:
Update on my fish: I spoke to an incredibly wonderful and knowledgeable lfs that was willing to put him down for me. When I brought him in, they said his breathing was strong, so he had a slim chance of survival and they would treat him in their hospital tank FOR FREE. I cannot recommend Age of Aquariums highly enough. These people are really passionate about their fish and incredibly sweet and helpful. I encourage everyone to check out their website or their store if you are in
Long Beach, CA.

So sorry to hear that :( Were they able to give you a diagnosis?

Back
Top Bottom