Did We Start A Mini Cycle? :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewToFish1989

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has been fully cycled for about 2 weeks now and during that time the ammonia has been 0, nitrite 0 and nitrates around 10-20ppm.

well a few days ago I gave my fish some blood worms (frozen) and when I give them, I only feed once a day as they melt, a good amount is released. Well I forgot to tell my parents and my mother loves feeding my fish and she fed them as well in the evening while I was out.

Well next day, I tested my water because even though its cycled I like to test just to make sure, well my tests were:

Ph: 7.6
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 10-20ppm

So did a 25%-30% water change, tested an hour after and the 0.25ppm of nitrite was still o_O since it was a small amount, why didn't the 25%-30% water change get rid of that small amount? Did another water change yesterday and still 0.25ppm, like what the hell?!

Fish don't appear stressed, feeding fine and swimming fine. Should I try another water change or wait it out a day or 2 and see if my nitrates take care of it?

I just tested tap water for nitrite and its 0ppm.

I put my 10 gallon through a mini cycle not that long ago but it was because I was putting in a second divider (pain in the butt big time) and had to drain more water then I wanted to out of the tank. It took a couple of days but the tank re-cycled itself and has been doing fine since. I would just test is daily and see if there are any changes.

How harmful is 0.25ppm of nitrite? So paranoid even at that amount >.<

I'm not sure at what level nitrite's start causing issues for fish. I would probably do daily water changes until it is back to normal. Mine went down on it's own within a few days. I tested the tank daily and watched my fish closely.

I'm sure if it gets high enough though it will kill the fish. I'm just not sure what levels are in the danger zone.

any traceable amount of nitrite can be harmful. you might want to test all of the levels in your tap water. if they are good, do a 50% water change and wait an hour then test. if there are still nitrites do another 50% water change and they should be gone, unless your tap water has them or your not doing the test right. two weeks isn't very long for cycling a tank, your beneficial bacteria isn't fully established yet.

You want it to be Zero, but .025 is not emergency levels. Keep Monitoring as others have said, and if still elevated, keep doing PWC, the tank you thought cycled for 2 weeks probably wasn't actually cycled to begin with, you may have had a false negative...it happens. Always shake your test solutions well prior to testing.

Just let it run its course, you added more ammonia to the tank, so your building up more BB then what you need.

Just let it run its course, you added more ammonia to the tank, so your building up more BB then what you need.

Just keep doing WC's so it goes no higher than .25ppm. Depending on your tanks ph nitrites are less toxic at higher ph. Also as stated above you added more ammonia and the BB is building which is why your seeing nitrites. It shouldn't last long at all.

Another alternative is to add a small amount of salt to inhibit nitrite toxicity. It's a minute amount so its not going to affect the plants. 1/15th tsp per 10g to counteract 1ppm nitrite is mentioned.

Scroll down to "salt and nitrite uptake" http://www.skepticalaquarist.com/salt

any traceable amount of nitrite can be harmful. you might want to test all of the levels in your tap water. if they are good, do a 50% water change and wait an hour then test. if there are still nitrites do another 50% water change and they should be gone, unless your tap water has them or your not doing the test right. two weeks isn't very long for cycling a tank, your beneficial bacteria isn't fully established yet.

I didn't say it took 2 weeks to cycle a tank, my initial cycle took 6 weeks, its been up and running for 2 weeks :)

Good news, the nitrites are stabilising again, 2 days ago were 0.25ppm, today 0.23ppm, so slowly going back to normal.

I been having a min cycle since switching filter sytems despite putting old media in it plus I had treated for ich bagh any way I could speed it up ?

Back
Top Bottom