difference between salts used in Freshwater vs saltwater ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bubble_B0y

Aquarium Advice Addict
people sometimes use salt to treat/prevent diseases in freshwater tanks.

what is the difference between this type of salt vs. the salt used in saltwater tanks?

also, can the salt used for freshwater tanks be used for saltwater tanks - and vice versa ??

and, which type of salt is used for mollies, gobies (the freshwater salt or the saltwater salt) ??

thanks

Mollies are brackishwater fish, so you'd use SW salt for them. Freshwater salt is some other kind, I dunno the specifics, but they're not the same thing.

Salt added to treat for disease is just plain old table salt. Marine aquarium salt is a mixture of the solids normally found dissolve in ocean water.

Salt for Freshwater is not the same as table salt. It's the same as Kosher salt. There's a difference between table salt and freshwater salt, but off the top of my head I can not think of what it is.

Fishyfanatic said:
Salt for Freshwater is not the same as table salt. It's the same as Kosher salt. There's a difference between table salt and freshwater salt, but off the top of my head I can not think of what it is.

Added iodine, but in truth, iodised salt is not actually harmful to FW fish.

Hi, Can someone help me please? I have just got under way a 460 litre tank and I have lost 2 of my dalmatian mollies I was told to use salt in the tank but I have an Assortment of fish, pleco's/ catfish /and kissing fish/ and a couple[ of different kind of tetras /and a Red tailed shark fish/and a bunch of mollies,my question is do I use salt or not ?????
I dont want to add it and then find out that it is the wrong thing to do. but I have bought some called Aqualibrium salt that has a built in pH buffer?? is this OK to use?

I wouldn't....I do not know what species of catfish you have, but I am willing to bet that they are likely ones that will not appreciate the quantities of salt that your mollies would benefit from.

Plecos don't tolerate salt at all, from what I've heard. It'd be a bad idea to try and use salt, I'd imagine they're not the only catfish like that.

Mollys are all tanked raised. They will be fine with out the salt. They have been raised for generations in normal freshwater.

Thanks to all for the info

Thank you all for the info I shall persevere without the salt, my husband went to a aquarium shop today for a thermometer and was told that all fish need salt as they come from the sea???????? he should be sacked for misleading people like that just to sell a product

as far as the difference between salts goes:

The word "salt" actually refers to a chemical compound, made from at least one metal and one non-metal, that has a neutral charge. What we generally think of as table salt is made of sodium (a metal) and chloride (a form of the non-metal element chlorine), or NaCl. There are many other kinds of salts, like magnesium sulfate, otherwise known as Epsom salt.

I think most products labeled "freshwater salt" are made almost entirely of NaCl. A lot of table salt, although primarily NaCl, is enriched with iodine, which is why a lot of people say it is unsuitable for the aquarium. Kosher salt contains no additives or preservatives, so it is safe to add to the aquarium and can be used as an alternative to "freshwater salt".

Marine salt contians much more than NaCl, which is why it is not interchangable with freshwater or Kosher salt. The other kinds of salt in the marine mix are vital to marine life, and harmful to freshwater fish. (Some of the extras include magnesium, sulphur, calcium and potassium.)

(If I have any of this wrong, please let me know!)

my references:
Wikipedia
this post
about.com

Well, they all do, but your shop help seems to have forgotten that the passage of hundreds of millions of years tends to change things. :roll:

Hrafnkel said:
Plecos don't tolerate salt at all, from what I've heard. It'd be a bad idea to try and use salt, I'd imagine they're not the only catfish like that.
I have two bristlenose albino plecos and they do well with salt. I use sea salt WITHOUT anti caking stuff or iodine. They are doing well.. lets see... I use 15 grams per gallon. its about 2 teaspoons per gallon. I read some where that buffers are good to prevent ph crashes but I cant remember what ph. hmm.

buffers for Ph are better measured for with KH testkits.. then taking approprate action.. and salt isnt the approprate action.. baking soda would be a possible buffer...
If you have a KH of 3+ or about 55+ppm you dont need to buffer your water.. HTH

Back
Top Bottom