Dinosaur Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azn_fishy55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at my LFS and say two amazing fish. There was the Dinosaur Eel and the Yellow Dinosaur Eel. They were about 3". Any info about these eels? Like how big they get and what size of tank they need. Also what they eat and do they need any special requirements?

One, they are not eels...they are from a family of fish called the Polypteridae and are commonly known as "Bichirs".

I expect that the 'dinosaur eel' is a Polypterus senegalus AKA Senegal bichir...the 'yellow dinosaur eel' I am not sure of, but based on what Petsmart has been stocking recently, I suspect that it is likely a Polypterus ornatipinnis, AKA Ornate bichir.

Here is my 'species overview' on the senegal bichir....I do not have one on the ornate handy, but it is much the same, savbe that ornate bichirs regularly attain lengths of 20"-26" and about as think as your wrist. A senegal or two can be kept in a 40 gallon wide or a trio will live happily in a 55, but an ornate requires 90 gallons and up.

Taxon: Polypterus senegalus senegalus

Common names: Senegal bichir, Cuvier's bichir, Nigerian bichir, Gray bichir

Range: Senegal, Nigeria, Gambia, Zaire

Size: Up to 13", but 10" is more common.

Water temp: 77ºF-82ºF

pH: 6.5-8.2

Sexing: Males have broader, thicker anal fins than do females, these fins will additionally increase in size during spawning.

Diet/Feeding: These are nocturnal, carnivorous predators that enjoy a varied, meaty diet, including earthworms, live feeder fish, krill, whitebait, beef heart, Mysid shrimp, prawns, small freshwater crabs, 'superworms' (Zoophobas morio), various insects, baby mice, frogs, and sinking, pelleted carnivore fish foods. Although most hunting/feeding takes place after dark, some species and individuals will happily pursue food during daylight hours as well.

Photoperiods: Aquarium lights on for 12-14 hours daily.

Spawning: Captive-spawning was first accomplished in the early 1960's, becoming commonplace in the early 21st century. Spawning of P. senegalus is not easy, but has been accomplished in the home aquarium.

Miscellania: Bichirs are capable of breathing atmospheric air (via a primitive lung similar to those of lungfishes) for several hours as long as they remain damp. Escapes from aquariums (usually done accidentally during regular surface-breachings or mating jumps) are not uncommon, so a secure glass lid is advised at all times. Bichirs pectoral fins share a similar skeletal structure to coelacanths (Latimeria sp.), and can use these fins for surprisingly efficient locomotion over terrestrial surfaces. Bichirs possess ganoid scales....hard, enamelled scales that hinge, rather than overlap...other fish with these scales include gars and paddlefishes.

There are 16 currently accepted species and subspecies of bichir, ranging in size from the small Polypterus retropinnis lowei at 10", to the imposing Polypterus endlicheri congicus which can reach a maximum length approaching 40". Bichirs were first discovered by European scientists during Napolean's incursions into Africa in the late 1700's, with the most recent subspecies being officially described as recently as 2000,and are regularly caught by native Africans for food. Of the 16 types known, 5-6 species are commonly found in the aquarium trade in North America, and can be differentiated by a number of means, the most simple of which are head-shape, pattern/colour, and the number of dorsal fin rays each fish possesses.

Some Husbandry Notes: Bichirs do best on substrates of sand, fine gravel, or bare tank bottoms, and like tanks with open spaces for free swimming, along with short, sturdy plants (bushy types work well), rockery and submerged logs for hiding, and a few floating plants/logs to provide cover security.

Feeding
At that size they love bloodworms,look over the below list and use food
sized to fit fit
Live foods : guppies , rosey red minnows, ghost shrimp, earthworms
frozen: bloodworms, mysis shrimp,brine shrimp , krill, squid and frozen silversides
some will take pellets, lean meaty foods such as beefheart are good too
but you need to balance their diet for nutrition so vary the diet, not just one
thing.How much to feed them ? Feed them until their belly bows slightly.
when approx 7-8'' you can start feeding everyother day
and skipping a meal will not hurt them remember in the wild food is not
always available.A nice round bichir is a happy bichir-Anne

*you'd need something non agressive and deep bodied and 4'' minimum length
what were you thinking of?-Anne

*and that noguarantee

The yellow eel is also a senegal, it is just a slightly different shade, or at least that is how it is at all the pet stores around here. I would add to what was but, but between toirtis, anne, and joe you are in very good standings. good luck with the bichirs, they are interesting fish! ~Corey

Friutbat, when you kept them with kribensis cichlids, was the Bichir still young or it lived with the krib, african butterfly fish, and congo tetras for it's whole life?

azn_fishy55....

I only keep 'kribensis'-type cichlids with my small- to medium-sized bichirs (<10 inches). African Butterfly Fish are a little less likely to have a bad encounter with a hungry bichir because they are strictly surface fish and most bichirs don't spend much time at the surface looking for food. I always match the size of Congo Tetras to the size of the bichirs as well. Certainly you couldn't keep a 4" Congo Tetra with a 24" Polypterus ornatipinnis or a 36" Polypterus endlicheri congicus but big Congo Tetras will do reasonably well with most of the bichir species that stay at about a foot in length.

Occasionally you do misjudge the appetite of your bichirs, however, and (though I've posted this picture before) this is what can happen when you do. The fish in question are a 1 1/2" Yellow-tailed Congo Tetra and a 5" Polypterus delhezi.

Pdelhezi22b.jpg

-Joe

Well, the only Bichir I am interested to keep is Polypterus senegalus. Do you think I could keep kribs with this species or is it too big? Basically my species plan(if I get this tank) would be 1 Polypterus senegalus, a pair of Kribensis(Pelvicachromis pulcher), and a small school of Congo Tetras(Phenacogrammus interruptus) and possibly if the tank is not already overstocked and African Butterfly Fish(Pantodon buchholzi)

azn_fish55

It depends a bit on the size of tank you're contemplating as well. Given enough room and some good hiding places, I don't see any reason you couldn't keep an adult pair of Pelvicachromis pulcher with a Polypterus senegalus. The Congo Tetras and African Butterfly Fish would be good tankmates as well.

What size of aquarium are you considering?

-Joe

If it is one of the 40 gallon 'breeder' tanks then you should be OK. The 'breeder' tanks are wider and a bit shorter than 'normal' 40 gallon tanks which gives plenty of surface area. For the sake of your 'kribs', make sure you have plenty of rockwork or driftwood caves for them to retreat to if the bichir decides to go on the prowl. They'll also breed for you in those caves (though I wouldn't give much of a chance for the fry to survive to maturity).

-Joe

Here is the Species Plan:
1 Senegal Bichir(Polypterus senegalus)
1 Pair of Kribensis Cichlids(Pelvicachromis pulcher)
A school of 5 Congo Tetras(Phenacogrammus interruptus)

So the first fish I am going to introduce to the tank are 10 Guppies(Poecilia reticula) to cycle the tank. After two weeks I will introduce the school of Congo Tetras(Phenacogrammus interruptus). After another two weeks I will introduce the pair of Kribensis Cichlids(Pelvicachromis pulcher). And after three weeks I will intoduce the Senegal Bichir(Polypterus senegalus). And in the end the Guppies will be eaten by the Senegal Bichir as food. Sound like a good idea?

greenmagi is definitely on the right track. If it is a 30 gallon long tank then it will work for a while but I wouldn't bet on keeping all of these fish in it for life, especially not the bichir. As your tank size decreases then so does the ability of the smaller fish (Congo Tetras and 'Kribs') to stay out of the bichir's way.

-Joe

Back
Top Bottom