Dirt Tank Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jsmith24

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all. Started a 29 gallon dirt tank about 2 months ago and the plants are finally starting to grow good. I've been doing a fishless cycle and I've been able to get the ammonia to go down to zero after 24 hours but I cannot get the nitrites to go down. I'm on day two of doing 50 % water changes and I haven't seen any results yet, and I'm afraid I know why. I went out back and looked at the potting soil that I use and its not organic choice, it's just regular miracle gro potting soil, which means it has fertilizers in it. I think this might be the cause of the nitrites not going down but I dunno, I need advice other than just starting over that is not an option. Please HELP!

jsmith24 said:
Hello all. Started a 29 gallon dirt tank about 2 months ago and the plants are finally starting to grow good. I've been doing a fishless cycle and I've been able to get the ammonia to go down to zero after 24 hours but I cannot get the nitrites to go down. I'm on day two of doing 50 % water changes and I haven't seen any results yet, and I'm afraid I know why. I went out back and looked at the potting soil that I use and its not organic choice, it's just regular miracle gro potting soil, which means it has fertilizers in it. I think this might be the cause of the nitrites not going down but I dunno, I need advice other than just starting over that is not an option. Please HELP!

Not sure what you can do about your dirt, other than look it up and find out what's in it. Ferts are used in planted tanks, but they're geared for aquatic plants.

As for the no2 you have to wait for the bacteria to show up that will convert it to no3 (nitrAtes). You need to keep the bacteria fed which means adding an ammo source daily. If they have nothing to feed off, they die. Are you seeing any no3 when testing?

Yea I've tried to research what's in the soil I got but have failed to find anything, maybe everyone could help with that. And yes I've been dosing ace hardware ammonia throughout the whole process and it seems like my nitrites are just stalled or something I cannot seem to get them to go down and its been probably a month now. I'm definitely seeing nitrates.

jsmith24 said:
Yea I've tried to research what's in the soil I got but have failed to find anything, maybe everyone could help with that. And yes I've been dosing ace hardware ammonia throughout the whole process and it seems like my nitrites are just stalled or something I cannot seem to get them to go down and its been probably a month now. I'm definitely seeing nitrates.

If you have no3 then you should be cycled what's that reading?. With plants they'll eat it up, but you should see something. IMO, do 25-50% PWC over the next few days and see what happens with the no2.

Ok I just did a water change about 55 % but before that I checked the nitrites and nitrates and the nitrates came out the same color they have been for forever, somewhere between 2 and 5 ppm (It didn't really match any color on the chart). The nitrates came out at 5 ppm but they have been higher in previous days before I started doing daily 50 % water changes. I am still getting a reading of nitrates though. Any thoughts??

jsmith24 said:
Ok I just did a water change about 55 % but before that I checked the nitrites and nitrates and the nitrates came out the same color they have been for forever, somewhere between 2 and 5 ppm (It didn't really match any color on the chart). The nitrates came out at 5 ppm but they have been higher in previous days before I started doing daily 50 % water changes. I am still getting a reading of nitrates though. Any thoughts??

You want to keep the ammo and no2 down as low as possible (0ppm being optimal, up to ammo/no2 .25ppm). No3 isn't as big of a concern and readings up 20-30ppm being fine, 40ppm being max. Daily PWC will lower all 3 and you're doing fine IMO. I'd suggest testing your water 2hrs after PWC to get an accurate reading.

So should I stop dosing ammo temporarily?? I'm afraid the good bacteria might die if I do that is the only thing how long can they live without being fed?? And ok, thanks for the advice. This is day two of doing partial water changes I'll keep you updated thanks for the help!!

jsmith24 said:
So should I stop dosing ammo temporarily?? I'm afraid the good bacteria might die if I do that is the only thing how long can they live without being fed?? And ok, thanks for the advice. This is day two of doing partial water changes I'll keep you updated thanks for the help!!

My bad, thought you had fish (different thread) :p.

Yep keep the ammo between 2-4ppm. When it gets used up (.0-.25ppm ammo) in 24hrs and no2 is gone anytime you test, then you'll be ready for fish. Just gotta wait for the bacteria to show up and eat the no2. But like I said, don't worry about the no3 as the plants will use that.

Are you leaving your filter alone? You should unless it gets clogged with junk from plants, then just rinse in PWC you pulled from the tank. If you wash filter media in tap water, you kill the bacteria.

Still odd that you have no3, but the no2 is still super high. IMO you can hold off on the PWC and let the cycling continue since it doesn't seem to be affecting your levels.

Any new info on your dirt? That might be affecting your test levels, but it's hard to say without knowing what's in it. Please post the full name of it and I'll see what I can find if you like.

The dirt is miracle grow potting mix. On the bag it says feeds plants up to 6 months (meaning it contains fertilizers) and it says it contains micromax (not sure what that is?).

I have two filters and I cleaned them out about two or three weeks ago but I didn't do it with tap, I used tank water. I guess I'll just hold off on the water changes if I don't start seeing any difference but nothing was happening before I was doing these pwc so I thought it might help.

My tank has only been up and running since March 18 so maybe the bacteria haven't had time to develope I don't know.

jsmith24 said:
The dirt is miracle grow potting mix. On the bag it says feeds plants up to 6 months (meaning it contains fertilizers) and it says it contains micromax (not sure what that is?).

I have two filters and I cleaned them out about two or three weeks ago but I didn't do it with tap, I used tank water. I guess I'll just hold off on the water changes if I don't start seeing any difference but nothing was happening before I was doing these pwc so I thought it might help.

My tank has only been up and running since March 18 so maybe the bacteria haven't had time to develope I don't know.

It takes a while, sometimes a month or more to cycle.

The ferts in the soil could be giving false readings on the no3, but I'm not sure. isn't there an 800 number you can call for it? Maybe try that, explain your situation and see if they have anything to say. Plants are doing good thought, right?

I'll see if there's anything I can find.

Yea plants are doing pretty good. I don't have much light so they aren't growing very fast but they are slowly growing and they are staying alive. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom