Disappearing Fish Mystery! HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

techo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey everyone,

So I have had my 55 gal up and running for about 8 months now. And the most bizarre thing has happened, 9 fish have disappeared.

So I left on vacation for 2 weeks and I came back to 9 fish missing, they were all being fed every other day over this time.

Here was the stock:

5 Rosy barbs
4 serpae tetra
6 bloodfin tetra
5 cory cats
2 bristlenose pleco

Now:
4 Rosy barbs
4 serpaes
1 bloodfin
2 corys
2 pleco

And no fish has a mouth near big enough to eat these fish and the 1 barb that went missing was the biggest fish in the tank...

No jumpers either I checked all around.

I tested the water and got a 0 ppm ammonia 0 nitrite and 5 ppm nitrate. So I don't think 9 fish died and were eaten in 2 weeks without having an ammonia spike

Not really sure what could have happened? Any ideaa?

I would say they were probably eaten byt he other fish or, the person who was looking after might of spilt or done something to the tank which killed some of them and then chucked them in the bin

Yeah well it was my sister watching them so I don't think she would mind telling me. And I am very surprised if in two weeks one fish would have killed and eaten 9 other fish all of which have been in a tank together now for many months

I'm just confused As how it's possible for all those fish to disappear! Lol . Hope you find out soon.

Either they are dead and mostly eaten, they jumped and the bodies were disposed of, or your baby sitter forgot to tell you about some dead ones. To be honest, 2 weeks is plenty enough time for that many bodies to disappear. Most dead fish in communities will disappear within a day or 2 IME. Sometimes you will find bits later on, but not always. Serpaes can be nippy as anything, and plecos/cories will gladly eat bodies with gusto.

Did you look around the decor? Fish are masters of hiding their dead bodies.

Theyve probably been eaten. Or some died and your sister forgot to tell you about them.

yeah I don't think my sister is the issue, she wouldn't care to tell me they had died. And 9 fish eaten in 2 weeks? I just find it so hard to believe considering that no ish in my tank are that large, but it's all I have now

Haha yes I have. And I will keep you guys updated it's very weird, but I am thinking it is about time for a complete tank remodel so hopefully I will find this invisible graveyard

Back
Top Bottom