Discus biting problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shoots2002

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hiii guys i just bought too small discus a red snake head and a neon blue but as they settle down in the tank the neon keep biting the other one till he is bored and yired then when he see him again in any corner he begin doing it again and the weaker one is very healthy but i am afraid this bites can damage his skin or soo....anyone have a solution for this issue?......thank you very much

Add more discus, they prefer do be in groups and the aggression would be spread out, unless you have a mating pair which you obviously dont. If you arnt getting any more discus, wait afew days and if the aggression persists and is seriously effecting the other, remove the one causing the problem.
How long have they been in the tank?

What size is your tank? Is it planted? Or do you have plenty of hiding places?

Add more discus, they prefer do be in groups and the aggression would be spread out, unless you have a mating pair which you obviously dont. If you arnt getting any more discus, wait afew days and if the aggression persists and is seriously effecting the other, remove the one causing the problem.
How long have they been in the tank?

The more discus you have the less aggression you will notice. As the other two posters have asked the two important questions are tank size and how long have they been in the tank.

The more discus you have the less aggression you will notice. As the other two posters have asked the two important questions are tank size and how long have they been in the tank.

The tank is 40 gallons and they have been in tank for 3 days and notice they are small and the tank is a community tank tetras and angels.and ya i have many different species of plant abongeon and sword and camomba i think and ya there is so many hiding spaces but the aggressive one go for eat and then return back and keep bitting the other one..

Personally I think discus do much better in a tank by themselves and in a larger group. Angels can out compete discus for food and can be agressive. You really should have a bigger tank for the discus. How many angels do you have?

Reactions: HN1
The tank is 40 gallons and they have been in tank for 3 days and notice they are small and the tank is a community tank tetras and angels.and ya i have many different species of plant abongeon and sword and camomba i think and ya there is so many hiding spaces but the aggressive one go for eat and then return back and keep bitting the other one..

How long has the tank been set up? What are the parameters? How many fish do you have in there? What species? How did you acclimate them? Do you plan on getting a much larger (125+) tank in the near future??

How long has the tank been set up? What are the parameters? How many fish do you have in there? What species? How did you acclimate them? Do you plan on getting a much larger (125+) tank in the near future??

Yaaa sure i will get 200g in the near future and my tank was setup for 3 months i think and i have with them neon rummy-nose congo tetras,,angels,coreys and glass catfish

Personally I think discus do much better in a tank by themselves and in a larger group. Angels can out compete discus for food and can be agressive. You really should have a bigger tank for the discus. How many angels do you have?

A black pair and a marble pair

All in a 40gal? Hopefully for the fish someone else will chime in here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll just add that your tank is going to have issues eventually. Your angels need a 55 or bigger to thrive. A smaller tank may be ok for a breeding pair one and that's it.

I'm not gonna lecture you, I'm sure you do your own research and realize you need a bigger tank. Maybe if it was bigger you wouldn't be having these issue.

To the other poster who recommend adding more fish I have to respectfully disagree. Overstocking isn't always the answer. Believe me I know! If you ever wanna PM me and talk I'm here, I did this and failed miserably!!

IMSO a responsible, correct stocking will cut down on issues. The answer isn't always add more and more. Then you run into all kinds of other issues.

Like I said, I'm here to help NOT bash. If you wanna talk I'm here. I have experience with overstocked tanks to cut aggression and also using dither fish as well which all became a meal for my Mbuna's.

That's all from me. The offer is there. Feel free anytime.

Dino

Last edited:
Let's keep the discussion civil. You can give your advice but you cannot force it on someone.

As far as the discus, the majority of the posts hit the nail on the head. They need a bigger tank soon and would do much better if their numbers were increased when you get a larger tank. Unfortunately a 40g is just too small for a proper group of discus, and considering the amount of other fish you have in with them.

Discus are very sensitive fish and require an established and stable tank to thrive. They will die quickly if put in an overstocked tank, and that is why I think you are seeing some tempers flare here.

Just my $0.02. :)

Let's keep the discussion civil. You can give your advice but you cannot force it on someone.

As far as the discus, the majority of the posts hit the nail on the head. They need a bigger tank soon and would do much better if their numbers were increased when you get a larger tank. Unfortunately a 40g is just too small for a proper group of discus, and considering the amount of other fish you have in with them.

Discus are very sensitive fish and require an established and stable tank to thrive. They will die quickly if put in an overstocked tank, and that is why I think you are seeing some tempers flare here.

Agree 100% ^^^^^^^^

I'll just add that your tank is going to have issues eventually. Your angels need a 55 or bigger to thrive. A smaller tank may be ok for a breeding pair one and that's it.

I'm not gonna lecture you, I'm sure you do your own research and realize you need a bigger tank. Maybe if it was bigger you wouldn't be having these issue.

To the other poster who recommend adding more fish I have to respectfully disagree. Overstocking isn't always the answer. Believe me I know! If you ever wanna PM me and talk I'm here, I did this and failed miserably!!

IMSO a responsible, correct stocking will cut down on issues. The answer isn't always add more and more. Then you run into all kinds of other issues.

Like I said, I'm here to help NOT bash. If you wanna talk I'm here. I have experience with overstocked tanks to cut aggression and also using dither fish as well which all became a meal for my Mbuna's.

That's all from me. The offer is there. Feel free anytime.

Dino

Thank you very much i will pm u soon

You know my two discus are still small they are 5 cm wide i think...and i had put the aggressive one in another small tank..how much time i can put it again back to the main tank.

You know my two discus are still small they are 5 cm wide i think...and i had put the aggressive one in another small tank..how much time i can put it again back to the main tank.

Well the aggressor may never be able to be put back into your main tank because he/she would probably do the same thing. Your tank's very small for discus and angels and i would definitely not recommend any more fish.

Back
Top Bottom