Discus Stocking Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasurf21

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone, I currently have a standard 30 gallon tank. I would like to get 3-5 discus for my aquarium. How many can I get, if any? Would they be compatible with what I currently have? Thanks!

1 Swordtail Platy
2 Balloon Mollies
1 Kribensis Cichlid (peaceful)

:fish2:

I'd say look into a 55g tank... discus don't belong in a 30 gallon. If you insist on putting them in, no more than 2.

Thank you guys... Is 30 gallon enough space for a pair? I don't want a pair of unhappy expensive fish?

It is advisable to have a shoal of at least 5 discus. I read that the ratio is one discus per 10 gallons. I would get a bigger tank first. 55-75g would be your Minimum target size. That is for discus alone. If you're thinking of making it a community tank, I'll get a much bigger tank. I have 6 discus in a 125g tank with cardinals, rummynose, corydoras, ABP and a gourami.

It is advisable to have a shoal of at least 5 discus. I read that the ratio is one discus per 10 gallons. I would get a bigger tank first. 55-75g would be your Minimum target size. That is for discus alone. If you're thinking of making it a community tank, I'll get a much bigger tank. I have 6 discus in a 125g tank with cardinals, rummynose, corydoras, ABP and a gourami.

Thanks a lot, I am going to forget about the idea of getting discus until I get a larger aquarium then, if ever :lol:. Thanks!

I would say if it's a proven pair, It'll work. But you're going to have to move the parents to a different tank after the fries stopped eating the parents' slime.

Back
Top Bottom