Diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
(Butting in) None that I can attribute to it, and the plants seem to like it. I've had the Planted+ a couple of months.

I expected to have lots of battles with algae after going "high light" and not running CO2, but, so far, it's been minimal in my tank. Maybe I hit the right balance of nutrients and light, plus the daily dosing of Excel. :bb:

Yea I'm thinking about buying a bag of Eco complete and switching it with the white gravel I have now, just a bit worried about restarting my cycle. I have only heard good things about the planted + so I might end up buying one later in the year.

Do you just eyeball it when adding excel and the rest of the nutrients?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Have you had any problems with the Eco complete? Also how long has the finnex fugeray lasted you?

I'm new to planted tanks so I'm not fully sure if the light I own now will be strong enough to grow plants like Monte Carlo

You haven't had any issues with algae?

No problems with the EcoComplete. It is inert, dark (though not jet black), won't break down, and "attracts" nutrients.
I bought the FugeRay 3 years ago this month. Since then I've picked up the Planted+ and 24/7. In a 20g long (12" depth), the PAR reading for a FugeRay is about 41-45, for the Planted+ its 61 and slightly higher for the 24/7. That's medium light (assuming 30-80 PAR).
I've had bouts of various types of algae (green spot, hair, staghorn, BBA). Limiting the number of hours is key. With the FugeRay, DIY (yeast) CO2 was sufficient. Citric acid or pressurized CO2 might be a better choice with the other two fixtures.
I've not grown Monte Carlo so I can't comment on it.

Do you just eyeball it when adding excel and the rest of the nutrients?

I follow the Seachem dosing instructions on the bottles pretty closely, adjusting for a 20g tank. Excel is easy: 20g = 1 cap full.For the others I bought a 10ml graduated cylinder off Amazon so I could more precisely measure the dosage. Probably OCD on my part, but the results have been good. :oops:

I follow the Seachem dosing instructions on the bottles pretty closely, adjusting for a 20g tank. Excel is easy: 20g = 1 cap full.For the others I bought a 10ml graduated cylinder off Amazon so I could more precisely measure the dosage. Probably OCD on my part, but the results have been good. :oops:

I measure it out as well. It can be lethal to fish as invertebrates when used in excess. Also, I add it everyday and not just after water changes.
Excel can get expensive so I switched to another source of Glutaraldehyde (this is the active ingredient found in Seachem Excel and API CO2 Booster). I ordered Metricide 14 (and not Metricide 28) from Amazon. It's twice as concentrated as Excel and costs a whole lot less.

No problems with the EcoComplete. It is inert, dark (though not jet black), won't break down, and "attracts" nutrients.
I bought the FugeRay 3 years ago this month. Since then I've picked up the Planted+ and 24/7. In a 20g long (12" depth), the PAR reading for a FugeRay is about 41-45, for the Planted+ its 61 and slightly higher for the 24/7. That's medium light (assuming 30-80 PAR).
I've had bouts of various types of algae (green spot, hair, staghorn, BBA). Limiting the number of hours is key. With the FugeRay, DIY (yeast) CO2 was sufficient. Citric acid or pressurized CO2 might be a better choice with the other two fixtures.
I've not grown Monte Carlo so I can't comment on it.

Is it easy to plant carpeting plants in Eco complete substrate?

I see so would I be in the mid range in PAR with a fugeray 20inch with a 5 gallon tank? I think I'm going to try using the citric acid co2 and hope my lights strong enough to keep some mid light plants alive.

I should probably do the same and buy a cylinder, I try my best not to eyeball it but I tend to go a bit overboard when adding flourish

I measure it out as well. It can be lethal to fish as invertebrates when used in excess. Also, I add it everyday and not just after water changes.
Excel can get expensive so I switched to another source of Glutaraldehyde (this is the active ingredient found in Seachem Excel and API CO2 Booster). I ordered Metricide 14 (and not Metricide 28) from Amazon. It's twice as concentrated as Excel and costs a whole lot less.

Thanks for the tip about Metricide. It looks like a concentrate. Do you have to dilute it at all? :fish1:

Is it easy to plant carpeting plants in Eco complete substrate?

I see so would I be in the mid range in PAR with a fugeray 20inch with a 5 gallon tank? I think I'm going to try using the citric acid co2 and hope my lights strong enough to keep some mid light plants alive.

Depends. For larger plants like Glosso , Monte Carlo, Staur repens (not a carpet plant technically but can be used as one) EC is fine. For smaller, more delicate plants such as dwarf baby tears, and the smaller grasses it might be too coarse.
Even though some plants are classified as medium light, they will often grow in lower and higher levels, although growth might be "leggy" in less light. If the light is too high or if algae is a problem, growing floating plants (please, not duck weed) such as red root floaters and frogbit will help.
I suggest trying a variety of plants and see what works in your particular setup. "Samplers" or trimmings from other plant enthusiasts are a great way to try new plants.

Thanks for the tip about Metricide. It looks like a concentrate. Do you have to dilute it at all? :fish1:

Some folks use it straight. I prefer to dilute it 1:1 with water and dose it as I would Excel. As a matter of fact, I store the diluted glut in an old excel bottle. I use distilled water; not sure if it would make a difference if I simply used tap water.

Depends. For larger plants like Glosso , Monte Carlo, Staur repens (not a carpet plant technically but can be used as one) EC is fine. For smaller, more delicate plants such as dwarf baby tears, and the smaller grasses it might be too coarse.
Even though some plants are classified as medium light, they will often grow in lower and higher levels, although growth might be "leggy" in less light. If the light is too high or if algae is a problem, growing floating plants (please, not duck weed) such as red root floaters and frogbit will help.
I suggest trying a variety of plants and see what works in your particular setup. "Samplers" or trimmings from other plant enthusiasts are a great way to try new plants.

Some folks use it straight. I prefer to dilute it 1:1 with water and dose it as I would Excel. As a matter of fact, I store the diluted glut in an old excel bottle. I use distilled water; not sure if it would make a difference if I simply used tap water.

Have you heard anything about flora max? I still can't decide on which to use.

Yea I'm thinking about getting a few samples and testing out which one works best in my tank.

Have you heard anything about flora max? I still can't decide on which to use.

Yea I'm thinking about getting a few samples and testing out which one works best in my tank.

Yes, heard of it but never used it. Have not heard complaints other than it is a pain to rinse and will (still) cloud the tank initially.
I've used the Top Fin tissue culture plants from PetSmart with decent success. The AA classified section is a good source as well.

Yes, heard of it but never used it. Have not heard complaints other than it is a pain to rinse and will (still) cloud the tank initially.
I've used the Top Fin tissue culture plants from PetSmart with decent success. The AA classified section is a good source as well.

I was worried that it might alter my ph but haven't seen to many complaints about it like you said.

I am pretty excited about setting up my first DIY co2 setup, I just recently bought a 2 in 1 bubble counter and check valve. Out of curiosity what plant has given you the most trouble?

So im trying to set up my diy Co2 (baking soda/citric acid)
And it doesnt seem to be priming, how long does it typically take?

Very nice! I have a fugeray on mine also but sadly it's not a planted +. I've been thinking of upgrading but the regular fugeray seems like it's doing the job so far.

View attachment 286474

I've been using just flourish comprehensive and excel which shockingly hasn't melting my Val ?

I've been thinking about adding a carpet plant to my aquarium but the only problem would be changing the substrate and the DIY co2

Nice tank, what size is it?

Back
Top Bottom