Diy co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HandSomeDevil13

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I've been thinking about adding co2 to my tank for a few days now and wanted to know the basics.

What do you need for a diy co2 setup?
What's the best recipe?
How do you know when you're adding to much co2 into your tank?
Is a 5 gallon tank to small for a co2 setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

5 gallon is fine for a DIY CO2 setup.
There are two primary ways for generating CO2:
• Yeast based
• Citric Acid based
The former uses a mixture of yeast, sugar, and water to generate CO2. It is a continuous process and needs to be replenished every 1-3 weeks. There are recipes here on AA (using the Search function should help) or try Google.
The latter is a mixture of citric acid and baking soda. The chief difference with this setup versus yeast based is that you can actually shut it off (as opposed to letting it run 24/7). This saves on CO2 and extends the life of the reactants. There are kits one can purchase on Amazon that allow you to setup a reliable, low cost, leakproof system.
Regardless of the method for adding CO2, a drop checker can be used to monitor CO2 levels. It is a small bell shaped device that traps air and has a chamber filled to pH sensitive fluid. The more CO2 in the water, the more CO2 dissolves in the trapped air which in turn causes the fluid to change from blue (not enough CO2) to green (enough CO2) to yellow (too much CO2).
I ran a yeast based DIY setup for about a year before switching to a pressurized system. I had good results with it (see pic below). I just got tired of mixing up the yeast and sugar every week (I ran two CO2 generators for a 20g tank). If I were to do DIY CO2 again, I would try out the citric acid method.
Here is a pic of my 20g long from 2013-2014 while running yeast based DIY CO2:
A2BbNha.jpg

Wow nice looking tank. How much did the co2 set you back? Did you purchase everything separately or did you buy the co2 Kit on Amazon?

I was also curious if in the long run would it be better or cheaper just buying the fluval co2 instead of a diy co2 system

For small tanks such as yours it will be cheaper for you to do diy. The price of the sugar to run co2 on a 5g tank is negligible.

For larger tanks, above 30g or so its cheaper to run pressurized.

What exactly do you need to buy for a diy co2 setup?
Is it just the regulator valve and diffuser?

What exactly do you need to buy for a diy co2 setup?
Is it just the regulator valve and diffuser?

Depends if you are doing yeast based or citric acid based.
If doing yeast based, then all you need is yeast, sugar, water, a pair of clear plastic bottles with lids/caps, some check valves, airline tubing (I prefer silicone), a 3/8" drill bit and drill (for making holes in the caps), and optionally, silicone for sealing the holes. I tried a ceramic diffuser for a bit but felt that the back pressure was too high. I just piped the CO2 into the filter intake.
I have not used a citric acid CO2 system but there are kits that make it pretty easy to setup.
The regulator is for pressurized systems.
IMO the Fluval CO2 mini canisters will cost more in the long run.

Thanks for the vid! Is this going to be your first diy co2 project?

Would I need to purchase a u shape diffuser, a check valve and a bubble counter?

I'm trying to get all the necessary equipment for a citric acid co2 setup.

Funny part is the only plants I have so far are jungle Val, Java moss, and Java fern. ?

Thanks for the vid! Is this going to be your first diy co2 project?

Yep. Never tried anything more than Excel, before. (Though it's doing a great job in my tank, I must say.)

Would I need to purchase a u shape diffuser, a check valve and a bubble counter?

There are many different kinds of diffusers, but I do want to get a u-shaped piece of tubing. And a check-valve is a must. :icecream:

What kind of plants do you have in your tank? I would keep dosing with excel but I'm afraid my jungle Val might melt on me.

One thing I am worried about is how do you unscrew the valves after the mixture is done? I don't want a soda bottle slapping me in the eye

What kind of plants do you have in your tank? I would keep dosing with excel but I'm afraid my jungle Val might melt on me.

One thing I am worried about is how do you unscrew the valves after the mixture is done? I don't want a soda bottle slapping me in the eye

Who is the first question directed to?
Which system are you referring to in the second question? Citric acid? Yeast?
*using quotes would be helpful here

Who is the first question directed to?
Which system are you referring to in the second question? Citric acid? Yeast?
*using quotes would be helpful here

Sorry about that I'm still somewhat new to the site

The first question was directed to both of you.

And I was talking about a citric acid co2. Is there a safe way of unscrewing the bottles?

What kind of plants do you have in your tank?

You can read all about them right here. :D

I would keep dosing with excel but I'm afraid my jungle Val might melt on me.

I've heard val is sensitive to it, so, yeah, DIY CO2 seems to be a good option for you.

I've heard of yeast-based bottles "exploding," but not citric acid-based ones. I should think you'd be able to let any pressure out by disconnecting the tubing.

You can read all about them right here. :D

I've heard val is sensitive to it, so, yeah, DIY CO2 seems to be a good option for you.

I've heard of yeast-based bottles "exploding," but not citric acid-based ones. I should think you'd be able to let any pressure out by disconnecting the tubing.

Nice looking tank! ? and you're just adding excel at the moment? Are you planning on adding more plants in the future?
Oh and is that a fugeray led you're using?

Ok just making sure because I've heard stories of bottles exploding on people when they tried to remove their co2 setup ?

If you use an airstone vs an atomizer or a co2 diffuser theres no way for the pressure in the bottles to build up.

It takes a fair amount of pressure to diffuse through most co2 stones which could cause the "explosion" youre referring to.

Nice looking tank! ? and you're just adding excel at the moment? Are you planning on adding more plants in the future?
Oh and is that a fugeray led you're using?

Thanks! :thanks: Yes, that's a Finnex "Planted+." I'm quite happy with it, though, in hindsight, I probably should have spent a bit moer to buy the next model up with the programmable lights.

Yep, just Excel for carbon, so far, though I'm also dosing the full range of Seachem nutrients. We'll see how long that lasts before it gets too expensive. :eek:

I don't think I'll be adding new plants, unless the Marsilea wholly dies (something went badly wrong with it). As it is, I need to trim what I have. (the tenellus is sending out daughter plants like crazy) At least it gives me clipping for the next tank. :dance:

Sorry about that I'm still somewhat new to the site

The first question was directed to both of you.

And I was talking about a citric acid co2. Is there a safe way of unscrewing the bottles?

No problem. Quote/multi-quote comes in handy for keeping things in context.
The plants in this shot are, front left to right: Staurogyne repens, Alternanthera reineckii 'mini' (AR mini), and Ammania bonsai. Back left to right: AR, Broadleaf chain sword, and crypt wendtii red. Lighting is a 30" Finnex FugeRay. CO2: DIY yeast based. Substrate: EcoComplete, black. Ferts: daily PPS-Pro from GLA.

Thanks! :thanks: Yes, that's a Finnex "Planted+." I'm quite happy with it, though, in hindsight, I probably should have spent a bit moer to buy the next model up with the programmable lights.

Yep, just Excel for carbon, so far, though I'm also dosing the full range of Seachem nutrients. We'll see how long that lasts before it gets too expensive. :eek:

I don't think I'll be adding new plants, unless the Marsilea wholly dies (something went badly wrong with it). As it is, I need to trim what I have. (the tenellus is sending out daughter plants like crazy) At least it gives me clipping for the next tank. :dance:

Very nice! I have a fugeray on mine also but sadly it's not a planted +. I've been thinking of upgrading but the regular fugeray seems like it's doing the job so far.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1461895497.895628.jpg

I've been using just flourish comprehensive and excel which shockingly hasn't melting my Val ?

I've been thinking about adding a carpet plant to my aquarium but the only problem would be changing the substrate and the DIY co2

No problem. Quote/multi-quote comes in handy for keeping things in context.
The plants in this shot are, front left to right: Staurogyne repens, Alternanthera reineckii 'mini' (AR mini), and Ammania bonsai. Back left to right: AR, Broadleaf chain sword, and crypt wendtii red. Lighting is a 30" Finnex FugeRay. CO2: DIY yeast based. Substrate: EcoComplete, black. Ferts: daily PPS-Pro from GLA.

Have you had any problems with the Eco complete? Also how long has the finnex fugeray lasted you?

I'm new to planted tanks so I'm not fully sure if the light I own now will be strong enough to grow plants like Monte Carlo

You haven't had any issues with algae?

Have you had any problems with the Eco complete? Also how long has the finnex fugeray lasted you?

(Butting in) None that I can attribute to it, and the plants seem to like it. I've had the Planted+ a couple of months.

You haven't had any issues with algae?

I expected to have lots of battles with algae after going "high light" and not running CO2, but, so far, it's been minimal in my tank. Maybe I hit the right balance of nutrients and light, plus the daily dosing of Excel. :bb:

Back
Top Bottom