Do different types of Betta act differently?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vallama

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Okay so I looked it up and found these different betta types:
-Veil Tail :brows: (really like them)
-Spade Tail
-Double Tail
-Round Tail
-Delta
-Super Delta
-Halfmoon
-Rose Tail
-Crowntail
-Combtail
-Halfmoon Plakat
-Plakat
:eek:
---
Anyways, so I was wondering if any of the specific types USUALLY have different attitudes/temperaments? Like I've said, I have some snails, and I am just curious as to if, say, the... I don't know.. halfmoon was friendlier, or the Delta was meaner. Or maybe (because I've heard that some bettas actually like the smaller end of the spectrum for tank size while others like larger) the rose tail likes 4-10 gallons and the combtail likes 15+??? Or is it just the independent fish: every betta has different attitude/temperament, no matter what the type?

Also, do Petco's bettas usually live a long time, and are healthy (as healthy as pet store fish can be)?? That's most likely where I will end up getting one (if betta is what I decide.. I'm leaning towards it.), and I am just curious if a certain chain of pet store kept better care of their bettas than average, and the betta would have a better chance of being healthy + living longer. I know just because one store might take care of them, the other stores in the chain might not... But I was just wondering.:cool: (Also, if you know a REALLY reliable betta shipping site, or anything--- that counts too);)

Thank you so much for any answers
-Vallama

Theres really no difference between the different bettas unless you find different species. Theres 3 or 4 different species of betta that you can find other than the betta splendens you listed. For all intents and purposes they are all the same fish with different tail shapes. However, the plakatts can tolerate a bit more flow than others.

Petco bettas arent a whole lot different than other pet stores as far as health goes. Their life span depends more on how you care for them than where you get them as all of them live in horrendous conditions.

Some privately owned pet store like one near me trafficks in show quality bettas which can cost upwards of $50 or more. These ones are usually quite a bit larger than most bettas (and older) but their care is immaculate and they are kept in separate aquariums. Initially they will be much healthier than the cup bettas, but long term caee is all up to you.

For a store check out aquabid. Its basically fish ebay. I would also do some research on what makes bettas desirable as far as colors.

Okay so I looked it up and found these different betta types:
-Veil Tail :brows: (really like them)
-Spade Tail
-Double Tail
-Round Tail
-Delta
-Super Delta
-Halfmoon
-Rose Tail
-Crowntail
-Combtail
-Halfmoon Plakat
-Plakat
:eek:
---
Anyways, so I was wondering if any of the specific types USUALLY have different attitudes/temperaments? Like I've said, I have some snails, and I am just curious as to if, say, the... I don't know.. halfmoon was friendlier, or the Delta was meaner. Or maybe (because I've heard that some bettas actually like the smaller end of the spectrum for tank size while others like larger) the rose tail likes 4-10 gallons and the combtail likes 15+??? Or is it just the independent fish: every betta has different attitude/temperament, no matter what the type?

Also, do Petco's bettas usually live a long time, and are healthy (as healthy as pet store fish can be)?? That's most likely where I will end up getting one (if betta is what I decide.. I'm leaning towards it.), and I am just curious if a certain chain of pet store kept better care of their bettas than average, and the betta would have a better chance of being healthy + living longer. I know just because one store might take care of them, the other stores in the chain might not... But I was just wondering.:cool: (Also, if you know a REALLY reliable betta shipping site, or anything--- that counts too);)

Thank you so much for any answers
-Vallama

Betta fish whose breed lines were started relatively recent tend to be less aggressive. When these fish were first bred they were selectively bred to "fight to the the death". This was there purpose back in the 1800's recent lines contain more wild stock and bred for astetciics. This in no means keep 2 males in tank. Ime the fish that die most often from big box stores are Guppies, neons, Rams, and any other mass bred fish with weak genetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Betta fish whose breed lines were started relatively recent tend to be less aggressive. When these fish were first bred they were selectively bred to "fight to the the death". This was there purpose back in the 1800's recent lines contain more wild stock and bred for astetciics. This in no means keep 2 males in tank. Ime the fish that die most often from big box stores are Guppies, neons, Rams, and any other mass bred fish with weak genetics.

Yeah, I'm only keeping one male in the tank, but I was more concerned about my tank size of 5g and my snails.

Yeah, I'm only keeping one male in the tank, but I was more concerned about my tank size of 5g and my snails.

What type of snails? My concerns would be if the snails are too small(fit in the betas mouth) they can eat them, they are carnivores.
And 2 if more than one snail some breed to the point of craziness.
I really only have kept nitrite snails for this reason.

What type of snails? My concerns would be if the snails are too small(fit in the betas mouth) they can eat them, they are carnivores.
And 2 if more than one snail some breed to the point of craziness.
I really only have kept nitrite snails for this reason.

One is a tiger snail or something and is about ye big wide: ----
The other 1-2 are snails that my science teacher gave me because she had dozens. They're brownish, and about this big: --

-Vallama

_________+
| :fish2:|
{--------}

I had my last male betta for just over 5 years. He was from Petco.

I've kept betta with nerite snails with no problems.

Aquabid is a good site but keep in mind that a large number of bettas available there are from international sellers. I'd imagine shipping would be costly.

Many chains (and even plenty of local stores) get their animals from the same distributors. So, it depends on the stock the supplier had. For the specifics with who gets what from whom, you can generally just ask at the store. That might be more helpful to you since, as you said, there is too much difference between individual stores to make a generalization about their care.
If you want a snail, I suggest going with a nerite and avoiding any sort of apple or mystery snail. Many bettas will relentlessly nip the optical tentacles on apple/mystery snails. Also, apple snails are quite messy. Nerite snails have much smaller eye stocks, and stay more in their shell. Also, ime they have less bioload, and don't leave giant poop strings everywhere they go.

I had my last male betta for just over 5 years. He was from Petco.

I've kept betta with nerite snails with no problems.

Aquabid is a good site but keep in mind that a large number of bettas available there are from international sellers. I'd imagine shipping would be costly.
Okay, thanks.
I'll most likely get it from Petco. Thanks for your help!:flowers:

Many chains (and even plenty of local stores) get their animals from the same distributors. So, it depends on the stock the supplier had. For the specifics with who gets what from whom, you can generally just ask at the store. That might be more helpful to you since, as you said, there is too much difference between individual stores to make a generalization about their care.
If you want a snail, I suggest going with a nerite and avoiding any sort of apple or mystery snail. Many bettas will relentlessly nip the optical tentacles on apple/mystery snails. Also, apple snails are quite messy. Nerite snails have much smaller eye stocks, and stay more in their shell. Also, ime they have less bioload, and don't leave giant poop strings everywhere they go.

+1 also can not breed in freshwater ^^

I've found Crown Tails to be more aggressive than Veil Tails, but that's me.

For long life ?
See if you have a local club near you. Buy from a breeder.

Otherwise. Use 5-10g. Keep fish clean and feed variety of food, but not too much and offer live plants and a place to hide. Mine love sleeping under a bridge ( I don't love fake decor, but my fish decided ).

My oldest Betta went 6yrs. Mine average 5yrs.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441272804.528008.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old pic. He was yellow with clear edges that were translucent and showed hints of color. He was a Petsmart Betta. I bought him as I was unpacking the order.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441273487.774864.jpg

Old pic. He was yellow with clear edges that were translucent and showed hints of color. He was a Petsmart Betta. I bought him as I was unpacking the order.
View attachment 277359

Nice fish!

To answer the original question, they all seem to behave the same except, I've heard that Kings can be a bit more aggressive and that Plakats are the most aggressive of all.

What I've heard, I've only had Crowntail, Delta Tail, Veil Tail, and Butterfly.

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

I've had quite a few bettas that would eat pond and ra shorn snails.

Fishobsessed7

Money Can't Buy Happiness, But It Can Buy Fish Which Is Pretty Much The Same Thing

I have 2 bettas both have Malaysian trumpets in their tanks and they leave the snails alone. I have a large male veil tail betta and he may eat the baby snails but I'm not sure because the snails only come out at night.

The other betta is a veil tail female and she loves all aquatic animals and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Their behavior varies from my experience with them. I have owned bettas on and off again over the years and they were all very different with aggresion.

Also I have owned bettas from Petco and PetSmart and they lasted just as long as the lfs. My closest lfs is actually horrible with bettas. They are horrible with all fish but people rave about them. I bought my current male from them and he saw the light (almost died) for a few days after bringing him home because they didn't understand how to care for the bettas in their store. It took a lot of work but he is finally healthy and larger than a normal veil tale. So it's up to your care of the betta when you get it home that will determine how long it will last.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 2 bettas both have Malaysian trumpets in their tanks and they leave the snails alone. I have a large male veil tail betta and he may eat the baby snails but I'm not sure because the snails only come out at night.

The other betta is a veil tail female and she loves all aquatic animals and wouldn't hurt a fly.

Their behavior varies from my experience with them. I have owned bettas on and off again over the years and they were all very different with aggresion.

Also I have owned bettas from Petco and PetSmart and they lasted just as long as the lfs. My closest lfs is actually horrible with bettas. They are horrible with all fish but people rave about them. I bought my current male from them and he saw the light (almost died) for a few days after bringing him home because they didn't understand how to care for the bettas in their store. It took a lot of work but he is finally healthy and larger than a normal veil tale. So it's up to your care of the betta when you get it home that will determine how long it will last.

Aww, sorry to hear about your LFS... But its pretty common, you arent the only one. Good hob healing him up :)

Maybe you could breed that male, since he is a but bigger, and make your own Giant Bettas. Through line-breeding and extremely selective breeding, you can find Bettas that get almost 5 inches long. They dont look deformed either, just really scaled up to almost double size!

That would be a cool project.

*adds to already overflowing wishlist*

Sent from my bed, the only space available to me that isn't smothered in dirty laundry or aquariums.

Yeah, I was thinking I might try breeding him after this semester. He is 6-7 inches long from nose to end of tail. I'm not sure what caused him to become a giant other than lots of attention and a healthy appetite.

I'd need to find a female that I want to breed him with. The female that I have is beautiful but I'm afraid he would crush her during the mating squeeze because she's itty bitty.

I should inform you that my boyfriend bought her from PetSmart and she has developed ich in the past 3 days. We've only had her for 2 weeks and I think he stressed her out by not using a net to catch her when he changed her water last.

I've never had ich on any bettas I've had before her and I've owned several from the big pet stores. I think her lot just had ich and it wasn't an issue until she got stressed out and her immune system crashed. Just be careful when you buy your betta to make sure to keep them healthy and happy.

Back
Top Bottom