Do goldfish help cycle a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darlena18

Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi eveyone i am dalrena i have a 2.5 gallon fresh water tank and i have some guppies in it , the guy at the pet store told me that if you put a golfish in your tank it will help cycle it faster does anyone know if this is true or not and if it is how is that it helps it to cycle?

It helps cycle because it produces ammonia, as any fish does. Goldfish just produce more ammonia than most. If you already have guppies in there then you should have plenty to start your cycle going without the goldfish.

Goldfish, or the gold feeder fish?

I was reccomended to cycle my tank with the gold feeder fish [ when I first got into aquariums, and was stupid enough to listen to the LFS ], It prooved to be a pain because my tank afterwards was not going to have any predators in it, So I was stuck with 2 doz feeder fish and nothing to do with them.

The guppies alone should be fine for a 2.5 gal tank.

Adding a goldfish will add more ammonia, yes. But in a small system this is likely going to overwhelm the bacteria and producing NH3 & NO2 spikes, possibly killing the fish.

Besides, what do you do with the goldie after the cycling - it can't live in a 2.5 gal, or with tropicals.

Back
Top Bottom