Do I Have Enough Filtration for 100 Gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiselchst

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings. I am new here, and had some questions for the more experienced folks.

I am setting up a (used) 100 gallon acrylic aquarium. I wanted to stock a fairly heavy fish load of catfish, shubunkins, carp, and other non-predator type fish.

I have purchased (but not yet received) two Emperor 400's, and an Eheim Powerball 1212 power head. I was thinking about having an UG reverse flow filter. My questions are:

* Do I have enough filtration (I know the Emperor 400's flow rates will decrease after time)?

* Can I use the Eheim Powerball 1212 for the reverse flow UG filter, or should I have two of them? It says it does 172 GPH, but I think that would be lower going through the gravel?

* If I just skipped the UG filter, can I still have gravel, and how much?

All input is appreciated!

Thanks,
Mitch

PS I am also planning to build a 4,000 gallon pond this summer, so any fish that outgrows the 100 tank, will go there...

Yes you can still have gravel without a UGF. Most people one here will tell you to shy away from a UGF, especially on such a big tank. If you do want it you will need two powerheads. I have done a RUGF before and I was rather dissapointed at the flow coming from the gravel, seemed rather weak and didn't do much. I think you want at least 2.5inches of gravel to say 3inches, but I could be wrong on that. With 2 Emperor 400's running at 400gph at best it should cycle through your tank 8 times and hour so that should be pretty good to my knowledge. Its possible you would maybe want a cannister filter but I leave that to the people that know it better than I. Personally I have my 55gallon cycle just over 10times/hour. Hope that helps.

[center:d77309f457] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, Mitch! :n00b: [/center:d77309f457]
I don't recommend UGFs.
Of course you can still have gravel without one! With or without a UGF, you still need to do regular gravel vacuuming.
Can you please post the gph for all the filters in question? You want a combined gph at least 6 times the total gallons of the tank (I think, if I am wrong, someone will correct me :wink: ).

Good thing you're putting in a pond, those fish will need it!

Secure and Managerie,

Thanks for the input. I will forget about the RUGF.

The Emperor 400 is a bio-wheel back-tank mounted filter, that says at clean start-up will do 400 GPH, but slow down as the bacteria process builds. How much it will slow down I do not know...

If anyone was to suggest another filter addition, what would it be (Secure - I would prefer NOT to use a canister filter at this time, but I will look closer at them. Any brand recommendations?)?

Thanks!
Mitch

If you have the larger torpedo shaped golds (shubunkins/comets) and truer carp you want at least 10 X for a HOB. You can get away with a little less if it is a cannister or if you have a UV sterilizer.

When you say a heavy stocking ..it does't really say what you mean.

Heavy stocking to me would be 10 fancy golds (ryus /orandas) and 4 rubberlips for that size tank with a compliment of snails.
And 2/3ds the number of larger golds. :?

Most of todays gold keepers really like AQ for the brand of HOB for smaller tanks..many use it WITH a cannister.

Christmasfish,

Thanks for the reply. That's two recco's for a canister. I'll take another look at them. Since the tank would also double as a pond nursery in a way, I was thinking about a UV.

As far as fish load, I guess I just want to have adequate filtration for a heavily populated tank (not too heavy to effect their well being, though). I really don't know what I'll actually keep in it, just didn't want to have too high a bio load for the system.

How about a larger in-cabinet bio-wheel? I really like the wet/dry bio wheel theory.

I'll start out slow, no matter what.

Thanks,
Mitch

Back
Top Bottom