Do snails add to the bioload of the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
off topic: I was watching my snails this morning and they are finally moving about the tank after sitting dormant for about 2 days, so i now have 4 (1 blue, 2 gold, 1 black) in my main tank and the two smallest (1 balck, 1 gold) are in my betta tank for algae control in there... I notice they find the algae tabs pretty fast now!... adn they are very entertaining to watch! But they didn't really care for teh carrots i put in there.

aaahhhhhhhhhhh... LOL, no i didn't blanch them... I know thats what i should've done but i completely forgot. I don't even blanch my zuchinni anymore becuase it is gone so quickly... Theres actually a snail on one of the carrots now, they've been in there since yesterday. I think i will take them out and but some fresh in and blanch it this time.

Blanching softens them up a bit. Easier for them to gnaw on them. And, coincidentally, I no longer blanch the zucchini either, just a quick dip in some water to take the chill off. I think Cliff likes it crunchy...even rasps on the peel. :)

yeah its funny because my pleco will eat the middle and my ottos will eat around the outside of the zucchini, and the angles and other fish will even pick at it. But i put some blanched carrots in there and one snail already found one! LOL.. thanks.

snails are great! i have a bunch in my tank--some large apple (bridgesii) snails, red ramshorn and malaysian trumpet snails. if you like the apple snails, and you have a planted tank, make sure you get pomacea bridgesii, and not canaliculata, as the latter will eat plants. if you're into ramshorn snails, watch out for the giant colombians as they are plant eaters too. if you don't have plants, nevermind! :)

fyi
http://www.applesnail.net/content/species/pomacea_canaliculata.htm
http://www.applesnail.net/content/species/pomacea_bridgesi.htm

Back
Top Bottom