Do snails add to the bioload of the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am thinking of adding a few more apple snails to my tank (I currently have 1), but I don't want to overload the tank either. I am pretty much at my stocking limit for fish and if snails would put me over, then I'm gonna hold off for now. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

As for my tank, it is a 20 gallon and my stock includes:
5 glowlight tetras
3 zebra danios
3 albino cories
2 bolivian rams (soon to probably be one because one is sick :( )
1 clown pleco
1 golden apple snail

I'm curious to know as well.

Personally, I wouldn't think so, as I wouldn't think a little thing like that would poop much, but it does poop.. so it would add to the bioload.

But I would like to know officially too :)

We have snails in 13 of our 19 tanks. In my 55 g, I have about 12 apple snails but it also has 2 Emperor 400 filters on it. We have a good deal of snails. Yes they do contribute to the bioload but at the same time....they do the majority of the "nasty" cleaning up in most aquariums. In our snail grow out tank a 6 g long we have 2 egg clutches of snails which is probably like 150-200 baby apple snails with about 8 tiny fish.

I think it all depends on the filtration you have and how you take care of your tanks. Our 6 g long is thriving and doing very well.

It's official. Yes, snails do add to the bioload but not within the realm of the 1" rule (unless you have some really huge snails, then all bets are off). The theory that they remove an equal of amount of waste that they produce is not exactly proven and like msmonih suggests, your filtration and your tank maintenance will play a part in keeping things level.

I have a unbelievable amount of ramshorn snails in my 75 gal planted tank. I remove @ 20 weekly for my LFS (win, win situation) to keep them under control (and prevent a parameters nightmare). :)

<<The theory that they remove an equal of amount of waste that they produce is not exactly proven and like msmonih suggests, your filtration and your tank maintenance will play a part in keeping things level.>>

I did not say that they remove an equal amount of waste that they produce. I said that they do the majority of the "nasty" floor maintenance in the aquarium that they are in - depending on if they are Apple Snails or Mystery Snails (in my experience). I did say that it depends on your filtration and how you take care of your tanks too. And said that they do contribute to the bioload of your aquarium.

Pls don't misqoute me. I never said they do an equal amount of floor maintenance with their waste production.

We have quite a few ramshorn snails in our 75 gallon tank. My understanding is they add slightly to the bioload, but they eat some of the junk at the bottom of the tank, and ramshorns also help turn the gravel some, which is a benefit.

I think you would be ok to add a snail or two to the tank...

Enjoy!

I would think anything you feed would add to the bio-load of the tank. In a basic fuel in - waste out kind of relationship. I've been thinking about this a lot myself recently in trying to decide how to fill up my 29 gallon. What it comes down to as far as I can tell is that the total bio-load is going to be dictated by how much food is put into the tank. The less un-eaten food, the more effiecently I can use the space, because that means less food rotting and adding to the bio-load.

If you have to add food to the tank to feed the snail, then yes it's adding to the bio-load. If it's only eating left-overs from the fish, then the overall impact is negligable. This of course assumes regular maintenence and water changes, dictated by the overall load on the tank.

I've been considering picking up some snails myself, but I just can't justify spending several dollars on a snail. :?

jrp... if you ask for the MTS they will most likely give you a bagfull... these are beneficial and great for the gravel... but I just bout 6 apple snails for about $8 and I agree, it was kind of tough forking over the cash for the snails, but I think they will reproduce and eventually... pay for themselves, because i know my LFS will buy back Apple snails.

msmonih said:
<<The theory that they remove an equal of amount of waste that they produce is not exactly proven and like msmonih suggests, your filtration and your tank maintenance will play a part in keeping things level.>>

I did not say that they remove an equal amount of waste that they produce. I said that they do the majority of the "nasty" floor maintenance in the aquarium that they are in - depending on if they are Apple Snails or Mystery Snails (in my experience). I did say that it depends on your filtration and how you take care of your tanks too. And said that they do contribute to the bioload of your aquarium.

Pls don't misqoute me. I never said they do an equal amount of floor maintenance with their waste production.

He didnt. :)

The theory that they remove an equal of amount of waste that they produce is not exactly proven and like msmonih suggests, your filtration and your tank maintenance will play a part in keeping things level.

2 different statements. :) He was agreeing with you.

msmonih said:

Take another look at the statement I made.

Jchillin said:
It's official. Yes, snails do add to the bioload but not within the realm of the 1" rule (unless you have some really huge snails, then all bets are off). The theory that they remove an equal of amount of waste that they produce is not exactly proven and like msmonih suggests, your filtration and your tank maintenance will play a part in keeping things level.

I gave credence to your statement that filtration is key. There is nothing in that statement that even comes close to my implying something that you didn't state. We were in agreement.

I'd have to say the apple/mystery snails are great to have in a tank. They can be entertaining, surfing and cliff diving. And they are a very low bioload considering they clean up a lot of leftover food. I dunno about the breeding thing or having lots of them though. LFS around here are stingy about giving credit for bringing anything in.

oh, not around here... mine will take just about anything back for 1/3 credit!

skyrmir said:
They can be entertaining, surfing and cliff diving.

Hopefully I got this quote correct. You are so right skyrmir, as the pic below can attest.

Look in the background for snail surfing. :)
newaquascape.jpg

My fault JChillin. I apologize. Apple Snails are better than Mystery Snails if you are looking for a snail that patrols eating everything not just dead plant matter, vegetation, and stuff like that.

Back
Top Bottom