Do you think my heater is broken?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpellEcho

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have this 50w heater set up in my 20 gallon for about 4 days now and the temperature is at 68 degrees and won't go any higher. I recently noticed that the colour isn't consistent so I thought maybe it got broken on the move here? Any ideas, has anyone seen this before?

ForumRunner_20131219_161718.jpg

Does it seem to be clicking on? With the discoloration under the glass I would probably just buy a new one. Being a 50W they can be picked up for fairly cheap.

I had a 300w that looked similar and darn near caught my house on fire. Was doing a water change and noticed some smoke coming out from where it was discolored like yours. Luckily I was swapping it out with an inline heater and just tossed it.

If it is on the inside of the glass (hard to tell, I see bubbles on the bottom but look like they are on the outside) I'd play it safe and just replace it.

I had the same tetra heater, they stink. Mine broke a week after I got it. I would get a better one

Does it seem to be clicking on? With the discoloration under the glass I would probably just buy a new one. Being a 50W they can be picked up for fairly cheap.

I had a 300w that looked similar and darn near caught my house on fire. Was doing a water change and noticed some smoke coming out from where it was discolored like yours. Luckily I was swapping it out with an inline heater and just tossed it.

If it is on the inside of the glass (hard to tell, I see bubbles on the bottom but look like they are on the outside) I'd play it safe and just replace it.

The red light has been on since I put it in the tank, I don't think that it ever shut off. I put my other one in there it's only a 15w but the water has at least gone up a few degrees so It looks like I will be buying another one.

Thank you for your help :)

Back
Top Bottom