Does anyone have a "wet pet"?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My girlfriend has a wet pet betta named Ripley after sigourney weaver in the alien films. Also I thank guapo means handsome in Spanish.

Makes sense I think se was taking Spanish when I gave her the fish

Cool I love puffers by far my favorite type of fish.

My fish house is empty without a puffer in it. Spud-u-like died, a week later, Diddy p! They are a must have in my opinion. I think the whole puffer family share similar qualities but I've only ever kept the F8. All the puffers I've seen for sale show similar traits.

My fish house is empty without a puffer in it. Spud-u-like died, a week later, Diddy p! They are a must have in my opinion. I think the whole puffer family share similar qualities but I've only ever kept the F8. All the puffers I've seen for sale show similar traits.

you should definitely get another.

All is a wide term there are many different types I assure you they don't all have the same traits. I don't say that to argue but only to prevent people from making the same mistake I did.

I love F8's and GSPs. I always wanted a fahaka, I figured they would be like a GSP but bigger! Finally got a tank big enough for one and then was able to find one on line. I must say it was the most boring fish I ever owned, very disappointing. It never moved except when it was time to eat. Sadly they are not like gsps or f8s

This is how I categorize them this my own personal experience

F8, GSP, Dwarf, Fugu - Puppy dog like personalities. Very interactive with owners.

SAP - reminded me of a fish with ADHD. They are very comical just buzzing back and forth. Pays little attention to owner but always poking around.

Fahaka, MBU - some what mobile but usually lay on the bottom until they get hungry

Arrow head, congo and other bottom dwellers- Literally lay motionless all the time waiting for food to go by. IMO garbage compactors just always waiting to be fed.

* I am not saying this is every fish all the time. Other people probably have had other experiences but this has been my experience.

I am going to be doing this with a figure 8 (ok there will be a waspfish as well but the f8 is the main attraction) I always thought handfeeding was cool (a red tailed catfish that I can hand feed is my never gonna happen dream fish). I am concerned about the beak with a pufer though......

How is this coming you get your F8 yet?

<That's a joke too

you should definitely get another.

All is a wide term there are many different types I assure you they don't all have the same traits. I don't say that to argue but only to prevent people from making the same mistake I did.

I love F8's and GSPs. I always wanted a fahaka, I figured they would be like a GSP but bigger! Finally got a tank big enough for one and then was able to find one on line. I must say it was the most boring fish I ever owned, very disappointing. It never moved except when it was time to eat. Sadly they are not like gsps or f8s

This is how I categorize them this my own personal experience

F8, GSP, Dwarf, Fugu - Puppy dog like personalities. Very interactive with owners.

SAP - reminded me of a fish with ADHD. They are very comical just buzzing back and forth. Pays little attention to owner but always poking around.

Fahaka, MBU - some what mobile but usually lay on the bottom until they get hungry

Arrow head, congo and other bottom dwellers- Literally lay motionless all the time waiting for food to go by. IMO garbage compactors just always waiting to be fed.

* I am not saying this is every fish all the time. Other people probably have had other experiences but this has been my experience.

This is very informative, let's argue!:ROFLMAO:
You can't beat hands on experience, it's good of you to share it.

Perhaps I did generalise too much.

Normally you can tell fish personality just by staring at them for a few moments, maybe I've been lucky in what my eyes have seen?

If a fish "comes to see me" I stop and say hello!
Sometimes I take them home (y)

This is very informative, let's argue!:ROFLMAO:
You can't beat hands on experience, it's good of you to share it.

Perhaps I did generalise too much.

Normally you can tell fish personality just by staring at them for a few moments, maybe I've been lucky in what my eyes have seen?

If a fish "comes to see me" I stop and say hello!
Sometimes I take them home (y)

I agree you can tell allot by stopping and watching a fish. Often if one comes and says hello I bring it home as well. Not as much lately cause I am out of room. But generally I watch specific fish for personality.

I'll be setting up a 20 long with a group of four dwarf puffers.

That's cool, I see you will have plenty of fish in no time. I wish I got into them earlier in life. I love your signature "more to follow" and "currently only"

"You will never be satisfied, you can't have too many tanks!"

My next tank is for (everybody will hate this paragraph sorry) hill stream loach which I always wanted, the shop had some I bought them home with me. It turns out they need way over the odds special environment. Impulse buy! Tut tut
I did research the fish years ago, I was going to get some to complete an Asian species tank, I never got the final fish to complete the picture.

I have found 3 really cheap tanks all in one location, I will be buying my first ready made tank this week, I swore I'd never buy a tank but the cost is less than one pane of glass per tank! One of these will be modified into a special environment suited to the currently quarantined loach.

Not sure what I'll do with the other 2?

More wet pets to follow!

That's cool, I see you will have plenty of fish in no time. I wish I got into them earlier in life. I love your signature "more to follow" and "currently only"

"You will never be satisfied, you can't have too many tanks!"

:lol: Thanks! :)

I used to have a betta in a 5 gallon on my desk when I worked at child support in the paternity division. His name was Hoosier.... Hoosier Daddy.
I also had an albino tiger Oscar. I named that one Kissy I swear he would kiss my hands and I could play with him. He loved hot dogs and dog food and well he'd eat anything! He was in a 55g.

I'm getting 4 dwarfs. Talking to terrance, he said they are best for people who have never kept puffers before. Not sure if you have or not.

Not yet :( still trying to settle the other tanks. I am kinda wondering if I would be better with a dwarf or f8...

Have you got any salt water experience? Will you eventually want a salt system?

From references available to me, both command excellent water, though I've never kept the dwarves.

Salt is the difference. F8 needs equipment specific to the water, hydrometer and marine salt. Also when the water evaporates from a salt tank it gets more saline so regular freshwater top ups are required to keep salinity stable. I think it's more involved than a fresh water system. It is really really really worth it though.

I will never be without an F8. :D

I used to have a betta in a 5 gallon on my desk when I worked at child support in the paternity division. His name was Hoosier.... Hoosier Daddy.
I also had an albino tiger Oscar. I named that one Kissy I swear he would kiss my hands and I could play with him. He loved hot dogs and dog food and well he'd eat anything! He was in a 55g.

Hoosier Daddy LOL thats great.

Your oscar sounds fun.

I miss him. I ended up having to rehome him because he got to big for my 55. That was 15 years ago. My hubby didn't look happy when I told him I wanted a 100g+ with a couple of Oscars in it.

This is our wetpet - Moses the crayfish. He is what has started our fascination with all things wet..

He is currently hanging out with our little fish, hasn't eaten one and doesn't seem phased by them at all, but I've been offered another 3ft tank that I'm picking up today so over the next week once we fix it up and set it up that will become his new home.

I watched him molt 2 nights ago - AMAZING!!

Attachments

• image-2956534496.jpg
    image-2956534496.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 75
Never had puffers or a salt system. This will he my first. I am going for low maintence as I hage a crazy work schedule.

My valentini puffer, he get fed frozen every day and wont except anything else lol. I love hand feeding him krill too. Hes the boss of the tank so everyone stays out of his way.

image-1733053478.jpg

image-824537753.jpg

image-2723002807.jpg

image-527403675.jpg

Have you got any salt water experience? Will you eventually want a salt system?

From references available to me, both command excellent water, though I've never kept the dwarves.

Salt is the difference. F8 needs equipment specific to the water, hydrometer and marine salt. Also when the water evaporates from a salt tank it gets more saline so regular freshwater top ups are required to keep salinity stable. I think it's more involved than a fresh water system. It is really really really worth it though.

I will never be without an F8. :D

+- on this, this guy right here is an expert on brackish! I disagree with one thing, dwarf puffers are a bit hardy but the rest is 100% correct!

Back
Top Bottom